mm or inches on bolts and nuts?

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Metric for sure, with the occasional SAE thrown in just to be aggravating.  I do most of my own mechanical work, and wish almost daily that i had my big Craftsman rollaway and lifetime collection of tools.   Alas, I make do with what I can find. 

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

They are nominally metric here.  What you tend to get is a mix; they get what they get.  Back in the old country (the US) I had a good mix of both sets because different things needed them.  Seems similar here, but the mix will be on the same piece of equipment ha ha.

When uncle was building our house (and my desk) he kept switching measurement types in one sentence. He would measure a length in inches, and a width in centimeters - I could not keep up with him.  The nuts & bolts seem to switch about as much...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/4/2019 at 11:03 PM, Viking said:

What is the most common measurements on bolts and nuts in Philippines?

Trying to make up my mind if its any use to bring my socket wrenches and spanners, they are in mm :89:

If they are good quality, bring them.

Before I moved, I had not had a good complete set of sockets and spanners for years.  I hit a sale at Sears and got a nice set of Craftsman that included both metric and imperial spanners and socket wrenches, 1/2. 3/8 and 1/4 drivers, allen keys and other stuff.  I think it was less than $200 on sale.  If you can find it, that kind of quality costs a fortune here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

When uncle was building our house (and my desk) he kept switching measurement types in one sentence. He would measure a length in inches, and a width in centimeters - I could not keep up with him.  The nuts & bolts seem to switch about as much...

Yeah... agreed, Tim. When I talk with the foreman at the home building site, he switches from talking cms and mms to inches in a heartbeat...

Personally, I believe nothing beats quality sets of Sears Craftsman hand tools (although I believe the brand has been sold off to another company?). As I wrote in another post, SnapOn tools are even better - but even pricier. Those are what the mechanics I worked with always preferred. However, any tools you can bring from offshore will be better or at least cheaper than what can be found here. SAE tool sizes are hard to find and the store sales staff (who tend to be a bit clueless anyway) don't understand when I describe them... All they know is mm. They don't even understand the word metric, I learned, all they know is that something is mm... crazy!

graham59
Posted
Posted

.... And all the 'interesting' and small stuff...eg sockets, are all locked away in cabinets in case somebody steals them.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
On 12/6/2019 at 7:38 AM, Tommy T. said:

I believe nothing beats quality sets of Sears Craftsman hand tools

Craftsman tools are now made in China and have been for at least the last 5+ years.  I believe there are now 3 grades.  The hardest to find, and the most pricey, are the Lifetime Warranty ones.  The most common ones are the ones that are warranted until they break, then you need to buy a new one.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

Craftsman tools are now made in China and have been for at least the last 5+ years.  I believe there are now 3 grades.  The hardest to find, and the most pricey, are the Lifetime Warranty ones.  The most common ones are the ones that are warranted until they break, then you need to buy a new one.

Yeah... like the typical used car warranty - 10 meters - once you drive further than 10 meters, you own it and pay for any defects?

But I just love the old Craftsman hand tools. They really do stand up to abuse and last almost forever!

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Was looking at the Craftsmen tool sets in American Hardware today in Subic Freeport.

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Bring your mechanic with you. He or she might like the vacation.:laugh:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Was looking at the Craftsmen tool sets in American Hardware today in Subic Freeport.

Unless you plan on doing serious work. Why spend the money? Things have a way of getting done here without expensive tools. :smile: