Balikbayan box

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I can't believe you actually shipped canned baked beans here, Steve? Really?

Those are ubiquitous throughout the world... You can find them in just about any shop anywhere...

Blame Ems, I just put in my tee bags ,mince pies and a stollen cake,

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

No worries, Steve... Believe me, I know about women and their packing... I don't pretend to understand it, just sort of follow it.. kind of, in a way...hahaha... Good that all your items arrived and everyone will be happy for Christmas here. Welcome back to the Philippines and you and Emma enjoy your time here!

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, stevewool said:

Did not think of that , I thought after boiling the water it would be fine, next project use bottled water for my next cup of tea.

I always use bottled water for coffee and tea.  I don't know if I'm imagining it but there seems to be a lingering after taste even after boiling from the tap water.

Mineral content in the tap water maybe?

I find some of the local baked beans a bit... bland but the Heinz ones are fine (reminds me of those Goodies Heinz videos from the 70s).

https://dai.ly/x2nvpvc

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I always use bottled water for coffee and tea.  I don't know if I'm imagining it but there seems to be a lingering after taste even after boiling from the tap water.

I find some of the local baked beans a bit... bland but the Heinz ones are fine (reminds me of those Goodies Heinz videos from the 70s).

We have our own well and a three stage water filter for drinking water. Initially I was using bottled water but now just use the filtered water. Back to teabI think the milk is the real problem. Tried Selecter and Nestles, now we are on Cowshead.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Actually, it was something about taxes on tea? Early trade war?

Tom, my post was in jest!  

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Tom, my post was in jest!  

Yeah... I know... My reply was in jest too, but not as smooth as yours!:smile:

graham59
Posted
Posted

Pretty sure it will be the water Steve (harder or softer for example, to what you're used to back home).

I buy the 'local'  Ram brand baked beans, but always add some Ram Tomato Paste (not Sauce), which is what we would call tomato puree of course. This thickens and gives some more taste and nutritional value.  P33 per 'standard' can in my local supermarket. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 12/8/2019 at 6:15 AM, GeoffH said:

We also use only bottled water for coffee and cooking.  Here, at least, there is a lot of calcium in the water which affects the taste.  There was an old tea kettle when we first moved here and rented.  I looked inside the kettle and was amazed at the build up of calcium carbonate buildup that coated the metal.   

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

On the subject of drinking tea, I have always been curious about the British custom/culture of drinking tea over coffee.  I'm also curious why you guys drink the stuff from a small tea cup, as depicted in a lot of movies, even British war movies.  What do you usually add to your tea -- or is it normally consumed straight? 

My first experience drinking tea (grew up in southern California) was a cold pitcher of powder mixed lemon ice tea with sugar added.  In my adult years, drinking hot tea from a Lipton tea bag (sugar and milk added) was the only choice when the coffee ran out.  Although I must admit, a hot MUG of tea mixed with honey and lemon gave that soothing effect when you know you're coming down with a cold or a flu.  

Otherwise for me, it's still that good ole black coffee, plain and simple.  Try to find that selection at Starbucks!  

Edited by Jake
spel chek
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jake said:

On the subject of drinking tea, I have always been curious about the British custom/culture of drinking tea over coffee.  I'm also curious why you guys drink the stuff from a small tea cup, as depicted in a lot of movies, even British war movies.  What do you usually add to your tea -- or is it normally consumed straight? 

My first experience drink tea (grew up in southern California) was a cold pitcher of powder mixed lemon ice tea with sugar added.  In my adult years, drinking hot tea from a Lipton tea bag (sugar and milk added) was the only choice when the coffee ran out.  Although I must admit, a hot MUG of tea mixed with honey and lemon gave that soothing effect when you know you're coming down with a cold or a flu.  

Otherwise for me, it's still that good ole black coffee, plain and simple.  Try to find that selection at Starbucks!  

Sod the China cup , get a good size mug and just keep topping it up until you have had enough, but make sure you always add the milk before pouring the tea into the mug, then if you like sugar add accordingly.

But if you just want the one mug, drop the teabag in add the milk then boiling water , stir until the required colour then get ready to dunk those chocolate  hobnob biscuits in there, sorry got carried away then , I am missing a good biscuit.

PS, add sugar to taste if required

Edited by stevewool
  • Like 1