Billions.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Anyone surprised about the latest exoneration of the Marcos clan? Not me. What a sham..and a shame. Filipinos seem to always get what they deserve..sadly.:shades: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

How did Filipinos deserve that? :89:

Gary D
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Old55 said:

By voting them in.

• Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Old55 said:

21 hours ago, Old55 said:

Maybe you haven't noticed that many of the Marcos's are back in power. Despite having looted the coffers of the :sad:over the years. You must not read much! 

Freebie
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Old55 said:

in the latest two cases the government lawyers submitted photocopies of documents of evidence. Justice rules states that photocopies arent allowed as evidence. Hence the Marcoses won, again. People got nothing . Due to incompetence of government lawyers. They only had 30 years to come up with the real evidence.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Freebie said:

Due to incompetence of government lawyers

Incompetence or other "considerations?":whistling:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2019 at 5:03 PM, Arizona Kid said:

Anyone surprised about the latest exoneration of the Marcos clan? Not me. What a sham..and a shame.

Here's an update from MSNBC this morning, for what it's worth:

THE Senate may investigate the government’s failure to recover billions of pesos worth of assets that the late dictator Ferdinand E. Marcos and his family allegedly stole when they were still in power, a senator said on Wednesday.

Senator Richard J. Gordon, who heads the blue ribbon committee, told reporters the panel would gather information during the holiday break and decide whether to conduct a probe in aid of legislation.

“What’s wrong?” Mr. Gordon asked, referring to at least five forfeiture cases that the government had lost in the past four months at the country’s anti-graft court.

“What will they do about it?” the lawmaker said, referring to a P200-billion forfeiture case against the Marcoses that the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) lost this week.

“Will they seek a reconsideration? Will they be able to get new evidence?” he said in Filipino.

Mr. Gordon ruled out the abolition of the PCGG — the agency set up in the 1980s to recover ill-gotten assets — as part of the solution. “That won’t solve anything,” he said.

The Sandiganbyan has rejected a government attempt to recover P200 billion of alleged ill-gotten assets of the Marcoses for insufficient evidence.

The court said it was aware of the atrocities committed during Martial Law under the Marcos regime and the plunder committed on the country’s resources..

“However, absent sufficient evidence that may lead to the conclusion that the subject properties were indeed ill-gotten by the Marcoses, the court cannot simply order the return of the same to the national treasury,” it said.

The PCGG had accused the Marcos family of amassing P976 million in ill-gotten assets deposited in Security Bank Corp. and Trust Co. and about P711 million in the shuttered Traders Royal Bank.

They were also accused of stealing 33 parcels of residential property worth P18 million and 21,700 hectares of agricultural land in Leyte worth P33 million.

The Marcos family were also accused of stealing 625 million shares, including 2.4 million stocks of Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. worth P1.6 billion.

The family were also said to have stolen $292 million deposited in foreign banks, $98 million investments in foreign bank accounts, 177 paintings, 42 crates of jewelry, Philippine and US currencies, certificates of time deposits, and jewelry worth P236 billion seized at the Honolulu Airport.

The anti-graft court has junked at least five government lawsuits seeking to recover billions of pesos of alleged stolen assets from the Marcos family and their cronies in the past four months.

In August, the Sandiganbayan rejected a P102-billion ill-gotten wealth case against Mr. Marcos, his wife and their cronies including Roberto Benedicto.

In September, the court also affirmed the dismissal of a civil case against the heirs of Luis Yulo, a known Marcos associate.

A month later, the court rejected a P1.05-billion lawsuit against Bienvenido Tantoco, Sr. and the Marcos couple involving 11 properties in the Philippines, Hawaii and Rome, shares of stocks in 19 companies, various cash, jewelry and other possessions.

Also in October, the Sandiganbayan junked a P267-million ill-gotten wealth case against the late dictator, his wife and several of their associates for insufficient evidence.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2019 at 1:03 AM, Arizona Kid said:

Filipinos seem to always get what they deserve..sadly.:shades: 

He does have a point

On 12/17/2019 at 2:17 AM, Old55 said:

How did Filipinos deserve that

By treating elections like school popularity contest :571c66d400c8c_1(103): Look at some of their leaders. House wife of an assasinated senator, B rated movie actors, son of former president, prize fighter with out a high school education. 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Sad 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, scott h said:

He does have a point

By treating elections like school popularity contest :571c66d400c8c_1(103): Look at some of their leaders. House wife of an assasinated senator, B rated movie actors, son of former president, prize fighter with out a high school education. 

Why do I think you GET it? Because you do..well said. Even AFTER they were cheated out of billions, they still voted them back into power.:sad:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, scott h said:

You do make the point, Scott...

However take a look at the USA elections in times past and recent and tell me we have done a lot better:

I can't quote any right now, but I do remember there has been more than one wife or husband of rep or senator elected to office.

B rated movie actors? ... You forgot about Ronald Reagan???

Son of former president? ... George H. W. and George W.???

Prize fighter? ... How about a wrestler - Jessie Ventura as Governor??? Not sure about his education though, so maybe I am blowing smoke out my a**? (again?) Same with Arnold S... I just know he is into body building and was elected governor of California a few years back. At least I like a lot of his movies and consider him, personally, as A grade mostly? Again... that can open up a whole new debate on this forum!

Then there are the career politician families who just go on and on - Kennedy, Romney and more. Not saying they are bad, just suggesting that the cycle seems to continue along familial lines a bit?

I am not passing judgement on any of these, just mentioning them for argument sake. But we in USA voted in a number of bozos over the years and maybe that's a contributor to the party impasse?

Sorry, Mods, to make political statement here, but it seemed relevant and hopefully not too polarizing. If so, please delete as you please and accept my apology...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Sad 1