Billions.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

good points Tommy and I had those in mind when I made my comments. But consider 

Reagan was a two term Governor of California and Bush the governor of Texas prior to election.

The US also elected athletes, especially quarter backs, but they had all retired from sports prior to "serving"

13 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

But we in USA voted in a number of bozos over the years

On this we completely agree :hystery:

13 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry, Mods, to make political statement here

IMHO stating historical facts is a lot different from espousing a position or view, we are not discussing ideologies here, as Joe Friday said,,,,"Just the facts Ma'am"  :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

good points Tommy and I had those in mind when I made my comments. But consider 

Reagan was a two term Governor of California and Bush the governor of Texas prior to election.

The US also elected athletes, especially quarter backs, but they had all retired from sports prior to "serving"

On this we completely agree :hystery:

IMHO stating historical facts is a lot different from espousing a position or view, we are not discussing ideologies here, as Joe Friday said,,,,"Just the facts Ma'am"  :thumbsup: 

Totally agree with your points too, Scott. I never followed the records of Reagan or Bush in their respective state positions.

I think we might all agree also, that there seems to be some problems or issues with the government here and rampant nepotism even worse than in USA? Saying that, I have to agree with Ak's original comment after all... I will not divulge how I know, but votes here are rampantly purchased and coerced like nothing we have seen in USA... I will leave it at that...

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

rampantly purchased

with out a doubt

12 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

coerced

Big time, our maid lives what we would call a slum and the slum lord is a local politicians family, they keep the rent low and own all the little stores in the neighborhood. They are told who to vote for or face eviction  

16 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

problems or issues

one of the problems, IMHO, is the motive for being in politiks here. about 3 years ago a senator in his 90's was asked why he didn't retire and enjoy life. His response was, to paraphrase, "I want to make sure my family is taken care of". To my Filipino friends that seemed like a normal answer,,,it raised flags with me :hungover_40_anim_gif:

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

one of the problems, IMHO, is the motive for being in politiks here. about 3 years ago a senator in his 90's was asked why he didn't retire and enjoy life.

Perhaps here, the phrase, "better blatant than latent," might apply? At least in USA there seems to be a bit of effort to conceal the graft and outright thievery, don't you think? It still goes on, but maybe takes a bit of effort to uncover or reveal?

• Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You do make the point, Scott...

However take a look at the USA elections in times past and recent and tell me we have done a lot better:

I can't quote any right now, but I do remember there has been more than one wife or husband of rep or senator elected to office.

B rated movie actors? ... You forgot about Ronald Reagan???

Son of former president? ... George H. W. and George W.???

Prize fighter? ... How about a wrestler - Jessie Ventura as Governor??? Not sure about his education though, so maybe I am blowing smoke out my a**? (again?) Same with Arnold S... I just know he is into body building and was elected governor of California a few years back. At least I like a lot of his movies and consider him, personally, as A grade mostly? Again... that can open up a whole new debate on this forum!

Then there are the career politician families who just go on and on - Kennedy, Romney and more. Not saying they are bad, just suggesting that the cycle seems to continue along familial lines a bit?

I am not passing judgement on any of these, just mentioning them for argument sake. But we in USA voted in a number of bozos over the years and maybe that's a contributor to the party impasse?

Sorry, Mods, to make political statement here, but it seemed relevant and hopefully not too polarizing. If so, please delete as you please and accept my apology...

And how many of the people that you mentioned looted the coffers of the countries that they represent the way the Marcos's did? Catch a clue TT.:sad:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

And how many of the people that you mentioned looted the coffers of the countries that they represent the way the Marcos's did? Catch a clue TT.:sad:

Absolutely, AK!  Perhaps there was looting on a smaller scale that no one has (yet) discovered?

I agree with you 1000% with your comments...

I was just supporting your and others' points that we and they (Filipinos) all seem to deserve what we all get considering the thievery and outright mis and mal-feasance. Of course it seems to be more blatant here and to a much grander scale, but it is happening elsewhere too? I am trying to not be overly judgemental... this is a public forum, so I try to be polite...

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Absolutely, AK!  Perhaps there was looting on a smaller scale that no one has (yet) discovered?

I agree with you 1000% with your comments...

I was just supporting your and others' points that we and they (Filipinos) all seem to deserve what we all get considering the thievery and outright mis and mal-feasance. Of course it seems to be more blatant here and to a much grander scale, but it is happening elsewhere too? I am trying to not be overly judgemental... this is a public forum, so I try to be polite...

It's a quagmire TT.. but Filipinos seem so eager to sell their votes for a sack of rice and some canned goods and noodles as a short term solution. Unless something changes, nothing will change..sadly.:angry:

• Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

It's a quagmire TT.. but Filipinos seem so eager to sell their votes for a sack of rice and some canned goods and noodles as a short term solution. Unless something changes, nothing will change..sadly.:angry:

To be fair, when you have little food then you are likely to be stuck with short-term solutions for ever.  Let's lay the blame where it belongs.  

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I will not divulge how I know, but votes here are rampantly purchased and coerced like nothing we have seen in USA... I will leave it at that...

We bought some property and built a small house so the wife's parents could move out of a bad area and live out the remainder of their years in some measure of comfort.   They had been in the new house about two months and my father in law asked if they could go back to the old house for a few days.   My wife said; "Do you miss your neighbors?".  Papa said; "No we love it here. But this house is so nice that no one has offered to buy our votes".  They went back to the old house for two days, collected 500 peso each, and returned to their nice new home.  :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, hk blues said:

To be fair, when you have little food then you are likely to be stuck with short-term solutions for ever.  Let's lay the blame where it belongs.  

Maybe you can elaborate on where the blame belongs.:89: