Philippines Mulls New Visa Rules for Americans

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

can the Philippines really be expected not to do the same?

The big difference is that the Phil needs the tourist dollars more than the US, Oz or England

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

The big difference is that the Phil needs the tourist dollars more than the US, Oz or England

If I can speculate for a moment... there is a type of visa called 'visa on arrival' that's used in some countries.

You arrive, they *optionally* check your name against a ban list, charge you a visa fee and give you a visa.

I could see that sort of system being considered... it wouldn't really stop the tourists and the fee would be a new income source (or an extension of the existing visa fee system, either way... extra pesos).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't think a country that survives in part by OFW's working around the globe should rock the visa boat IMO, especially since the current administration in the U.S. is known to engage in tit for tat.

Edited by Heeb
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

If I can speculate for a moment... there is a type of visa called 'visa on arrival' that's used in some countries.

You arrive, they *optionally* check your name against a ban list, charge you a visa fee and give you a visa.

I could see that sort of system being considered... it wouldn't really stop the tourists and the fee would be a new income source.

The Philippines has a visa on arrival but it is limited to some fairly specific groups and individuals.

http://immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirements/special-visa/applications-for-visa-upon-arrival

Foreign investors and businessmen duly endorsed by the Board of Investments (BOI), Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA), Philippine chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI), local business councils, or local as well as foreign chambers of commerce and industry;

Athletes and delegates to sports competitions, conventions or exhibitions duly endorsed by its organizers and/or sponsors;

Delegates and participants to, resource speakers in, international conventions, symposia, conference and similar gatherings duly endorsed by its organizers and/or sponsors;

Foreign investors and their executives in investments that are endorsed by the government, or those resulting from bilateral agreements as well as those in response to Presidential Invitations for Investments during presidential trips or State Visits abroad;

Officials of World Bank, Asian Development Bank, and other international development partners, including their dependent spouse and unmarried minor children;

Other foreigners who, in the discretion of the Commissioner, may be entitled to the benefits of this program.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

If I can speculate for a moment

Speculating is half the fun :thumbsup:

I don't think it can be done here. Just consider that even the LTO's here are not networked nor a lot of the Banks. And a lot of government agencies use publics email like yahoo and Gmail 

• Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will say we definitely aren't' consistent in our meddling, Saudi Arabia comes to mind, If we are somehow benefiting from a relationship you can do whatever you want (Marcos) we will look the other way, the minute we aren't benefiting...Iran found out the hard way back in the 1950's.

Edited by Heeb
  • Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted

Let’s take it one step further........what happens to those of us (and by us, I mean Americans) who have already made the Philippines our home?

I’ve reached the point where I’m semi retired. I now work about 6 months a year and come to the Phils for about 6 months. So if it comes to pass that new visa restrictions come into play, then what happens if you’re already here (on a tourist visa)? Will we be required to jump thru even more hoops to stay? Longer delays in getting approved? Or worse, being denied a visa extension and forced to pack up and leave? 

Hopefully it’s just rhetoric and the politicians come to their senses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sadly this is one more good reason not too deeply invest in Philippines. 

Durte is like a yappy mop dog. Although occasionally even a yappy dog may bite.

• Like 1