My new kettle

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well it’s been just over a week living in the building site and sharing the family house and my kettle in that time has had its whistle melted off and I lost count of it boiling dry while left on the stove , this morning I watch in amazement how they can just boil the right amount of water just for one cup inside this thing, well once it’s broke there is not going to be another one , god knows what they used before most probably a saucepan or did not have hot drinks .

Its so much more fun in the Philippines.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, stevewool said:

well once it’s broke there is not going to be another one , god knows what they used before most probably a saucepan or did not have hot drinks .

If you don't mind paying a bit extra for your power bills, you can try one of the electric kettles - like you find in many hotels.

You can find plastic or stainless versions in almost any housewares store. They range in price from about P900 to well over P1,500 depending on size, power rating and special features. They are brilliant. Many of them - such as the one I bought a few weeks ago - include dry heating protection so they won't burn up if left on without water. They heat super fast and come in sizes from less than 1 litre to over 2 litres. This one is 1.5 litres and is perfect for our morning coffee for two with some leftover for reheat.

I will not call them fool-proof - that would be a tall order here - but they are at least fool (or lazy) resistant!

I like these so much that I gifted one to a relative here for Christmas since she was always heating water on a hob.

Electric Water Kettle.jpg

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Tommy I was going to buy one of these as my first choice , but as the father in-law don’t like using electric as it cost to much I thought perfect I will buy the other one so he can use it once we have gone , but silly me was thinking of others first and not myself , but I must say the father in law has not damaged this .

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

If you don't mind paying a bit extra for your power bills, you can try one of the electric kettles - like you find in many hotels.

You can find plastic or stainless versions in almost any housewares store. They range in price from about P900 to well over P1,500 depending on size, power rating and special features. They are brilliant. Many of them - such as the one I bought a few weeks ago - include dry heating protection so they won't burn up if left on without water. They heat super fast and come in sizes from less than 1 litre to over 2 litres. This one is 1.5 litres and is perfect for our morning coffee for two with some leftover for reheat.

I will not call them fool-proof - that would be a tall order here - but they are at least fool (or lazy) resistant!

I like these so much that I gifted one to a relative here for Christmas since she was always heating water on a hob.

Electric Water Kettle.jpg

I'm not taking the piss Tom, but you make an Electric Kettle sound like some kind of cutting edge technology!    

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm not taking the piss Tom, but you make an Electric Kettle sound like some kind of cutting edge technology!    

None taken, HK... Back in USA, I had never even heard of these things. I only learned about them during travels. I never had one on the yacht because the power drain was substantial so I always used just a regular teakettle on the propane hob. That was up until two years ago...

So...for me, it IS cutting edge technology!!!:dance:

And you know me fairly well by now - I get excited by simple things that I "discover," along my way...:whistling:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

And you know me fairly well by now - I get excited by simple things that I "discover,"

Laugh icon.jpg come on Tom get real EH?

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

None taken, HK... Back in USA, I had never even heard of these things. I only learned about them during travels. I never had one on the yacht because the power drain was substantial so I always used just a regular teakettle on the propane hob. That was up until two years ago...

So...for me, it IS cutting edge technology!!!:dance:

And you know me fairly well by now - I get excited by simple things that I "discover," along my way...:whistling:

Electric kettles  have been around, at least in the UK, for as long as I can remember - in all honesty I really cannot recall seeing a kettle boiling on the hob/ring ever.  And my family was very working class.  

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Electric kettles  have been around, at least in the UK, for as long as I can remember - in all honesty I really cannot recall seeing a kettle boiling on the hob/ring ever.  And my family was very working class.  

I am 61 and as a kid our kettle was always halfway on the ring at a low heat just boiling and ready for the next brew

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I was a kid we lived in the country and we had a slow combustion wood stove with a  heating coil in it that heated water so we had hot water for the bath and sink taps.  It was a gravity feed system, the cool water moved down the pipes and through the coil where it was heated by the fire then it rose up the pipe as it expanded and emptied into a holding tank which was gravity fed to the taps in the bathroom and kitchen.

The kettle, a big heavy thing sat to the side of that slow combustion stove where it would stay warm and when someone wanted a cuppa (cup of tea) they'd move it to the hot plate above the fire box then after top it back up and move it to the side.

It wasn't until I was a teenager that we had a gas range and gas hot water and for that we had a whistling aluminium kettle.

I knew of people that had electric kettles but they weren't common and they were expensive, so expensive that the elements and cords were replacable items.  My grand parents had one similar to the one pictured below but they were well off by the standards of the time and the area.

jug.jpg

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, hk blues said:

Okay, okay, HK... so maybe I spent much of my life as a troglodyte?

Honestly... I never encountered an electric "kettle" (as you call it) similar to the one I have now until during the past maybe 5-10 years. In USA I just had a regular coffee brewing machine or used a water kettle on the gas or electric stove. Sure... back in the 50's and 60's, we had electric coffee pots, but I never saw a kettle such as they make now. So I had a sheltered life...

• Haha 1