European Travellers - What are your favorite routes to central Europe?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thinking about going to Europe in a few months and I know several of you make the trip often.  For this trip, probably will not go to UK.  Any ideas for good flights?  Need to balance cost and flight times for my family of 5.  Leaving from Clark would be nice but Manila is OK too.

Definitely will be going to Netherlands and Germany.  I will rent a car / van so getting between places is not an issue.  On the map below, the blue area would probably be the area I would consider for a really nice fare.  The red area is the best option.  In my final decision, I will also have to factor in the price of a rental car at the destination airport.  I suspect they can vary a lot.

Screenshot (50)_LI.jpg

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I've flown KLM a few times (to U.K...but via their Schiphol, Amsterdam base).  Good airline. 

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

I've flown in to Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, and Paris on various occasions.  But have not tried it direct from Phils yet.  All of those airports offer ample connections and trains to anywhere you want to go.  Today we are flying out direct to Istanbul, that will be a first.  Let you know how it goes. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I've flown KLM a few times (to U.K...but via their Schiphol, Amsterdam base).  Good airline. 

I've heard KLM was good but never flew them.  However, it would appear that they have joined others in nickel and diming everyone.  I put in some April dates.  Their Light fare includes no check-in bags and is 1187 usd.  If you want a 23 kg bag (most others include 30 kg), the fare is 1277.  Both of those fares have severe penalties and restrictions.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Today we are flying out direct to Istanbul,

Due to price?

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I have noticed that Manila - UK - Manila is far more expensive then UK - Manila - UK. 1200 euros is double what I'm used to paying.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I have noticed that Manila - UK - Manila is far more expensive then UK - Manila - UK. 1200 euros is double what I'm used to paying.

Definitely the case. Always has been .

I seem to recall Hong Kong to UK being a bit more favourable for such flights.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

SQ, Manila to Frankfurt is the first I have found under $1000 per adult.  I hope I can find cheaper.  SQ is 988 and for the 5 of us, works out to 4540.  Fares are sure high.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

The most I've paid UK to davao is 650 gb pounds about 720 euros , I aim too  book about 2 months in advance 

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Normally $7-800 from Manila to London, probably a little less to Frankfurt. You tried Skyscanner?