31/01/2020. 11pm

gery0x
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So now the big question.  Who gets to fish in the English Channel?  France?  England?  Whoever catches them first?

Easy answer, see Spratly Islands: the Chinese will raise artificial islands and claim the sea for themselves - everybody loses. :tongue::laugh:

Joke lang...

As the only non-UK EU-member here on the forum and as somebody who has virtually nothing to do with the EU in his private or business life, I allow myself to put my personal opinion on the topic:

I don't like the EU either, at least not in the form as it is being handled at the moment (still too much greed and envy on the sides of all member-states *imho*).

But one has to consider that the EU is still very very young in a historical perspective!

Seeing the brits leave makes me sad somehow, because the EU - per se - is a good idea. Any merging of countries will always be a good idea in my opinion, because at the end of the day the whole world will be nothing else than one global conglomerate of states - hopefully at least, and I'm talking centuries here.

The UK leaving will not have a very big impact history wise I think, but it will have intermediate-term impacts on the economies of both sides for sure.

Just an example (because I work in this branch): BMW Hamshall is planning to disassemble its whole production plant, ship it to the Netherlands and rebuild it there again - because of tax reasons (greed)!

And for sure that's only one example, I can name only this one because I'm hands on with BMW...

I really do hope that the two parties will find a deal that helps everybody overcome the break without major losses!

But at the end of the day we still love you brits and I hope that this is based on mutuality! :smile:

Edited by gery0x
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I will venture forth my humble opinion... I see that we, as humans, should, someday, shed our clan mentality... All these countries and peoples still act so much like little kingdoms... sometimes due to business interests (oil, gold, rare earth minerals) and sometimes due to agriculture, banking and plain greed - maybe these are all the same? Our long term viability and future - in my humble opinion - should be planetary, not state-like. But that won't likely happen until there might be a threat to mankind in general or worldwide?

I have no kids, but I feel empathy for those who are just now becoming of age and their kids that those that follow...  What a legacy our generation is bequeathing to them all?...

I hope, sincerely, that Brexit works out well for the Brits... I really do. And I hope it works out well for Europe...

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Our long term viability and future - in my humble opinion - should be planetary, not state-like. But that won't likely happen until there might be a threat to mankind in general or worldwide?

Just wait and see... one day the "aliens" will "land" just as the settlers landed on remote islands a couple of hundred years ago and ancient tribes started to gang up... and then that whole system as we know it will be turned upside down.

But I think neither of us will live when this happens, anyway that's off topic here...

4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I hope, sincerely, that Brexit works out well for the Brits... I really do. And I hope it works out well for Europe...

I'm absolutely sure they will!

The powers that be will figure out the best way to make most out of it in the sense of compromises.

Neither the UK nor the EU are idiots *lol*

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Another one bites the dust..took awhile tho.:smile:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, gery0x said:

one day the "aliens" will "land"

Good point.  With Britain out of the European Union, will the Brits be "aliens" when they go to Europe?  Will they need passports, visas, and interesting things like that?

As to the real, interplanetary aliens:  Ancient Astronaut Theorists say yes, they are here among us even now.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Ancient Astronaut Theorists say yes, they are here among us even now.

I want to believe.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Just my opinion -

Most of us here are focused on the exchange rate and Brexit  - myself included.  Anyone who has tracked the rate will have seen that it goes up and down according to one thing - the likely trading relationship beyond the transition period.  Hard Brexit = fall in GBP, soft Brexit = rise in GBP. So, anybody hoping for a jump in the GBP and a clean break from the EU is almost certainly going to be disappointed.  We either have a Brexit in name only and a nice bump to our GBP OR a harder Brexit and a nastier kind of bump to the GBP. 

I'm in a minority (a 48% one) but I do believe that the EU is more powerful in every way than the UK so I doubt we'll be dictating much to them over the ongoing relationship.

Ah well, my San Mig lights will still cost the same 36php regardless! 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, stevewool said:

Nothing really, it will be just another Friday evening as normal, unless England sinks into the English Channel that is.

If the Scottish Nats get their way it will :hystery:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

The whole thing could have been resolved by the EU giving our then PM a few minor concessions 

But we had the arrogance of the EU ,thinking that we would not vote to leave 

The UK is the second largest contributor to the eu , there will be a lot of up front bs as usual from politicians 

The eu will only ever work if it becomes a single entity ,I.e. the United states of Europe,  but that will never happen ,as it would mean countries having to surrender their sovereignty and for us that means the Queen and ,I dont see that happening .

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Ah well, my San Mig lights will still cost the same 36php regardless! 

Sorry... HK, supposedly they will cost more this year due to the increase in Philippine "sin" taxes? Still a good deal though...