The Worst Beer on the Planet

Jack D
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

What is everyone's take on Fosters?

An Aussie friend once told me that Australia exports their very worst beer (Fosters) and their very worst wine (Yellow Tail).*

On the plus side, the large Fosters cans can be very useful if you're gonna build a boat for the 'boats made out of cans' races.

boats.JPG

* In a similar way, Mexico exports their worst beer (Corona) in large numbers to the USA. Many Mexicans jokingly call Corona the 'Gringo Beer.' Modelo is one of the best beers from Mexico, but they export it in relatively small amounts.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm curious as to why any brewer would want to export the crap and keep the good stuff for the locals - it's not like they cannot produce enough of the good stuff for export.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

I dislike most strong beers with the exception of Red Horse which I quite like. I tried the Tiger black strong beer and didn't like. I think San Mig Light is as good a lager beer as you'll find - It was my beer of choice in Hong Kong long before I came here. SMP is also a presentable beer.

I did dome beer tasting for my blog a couple of years ago. I had a sampling of craft beers and all of the SM fare. I don't mind SM pilsner and can drink SM Light but I don't like the rest. In Hong Kong, the hotel bar had Asahi and Tiger so I drank a few for the first time and they're also okay with me.

Last weekend, up in the hills above Digos City, I sampled Tiger Crystal Light. It was a lot like 5% alcohol in water.

I drink a lot of Heineken now. It's brewed here and not super expensive and not a bad lager.

I was making my own beer for a while here but the cats have overrun the patio and made my brewing are unsanitary. :unsure:

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

What is everyone's take on Fosters?  I tried it for the first time recently, and just couldn't get into it.  Thought they would get better after having a few, but nope.  I always imagined it would be really awesome. 

I remember the Crocodile Dundee commercials in the US: "Fosters lager. It's Australian for beer, mate." I tried it but didn't like it at all. My friend said, "They must call this beer because they don't have an Australian word for skunk piss."

• Haha 4

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Rolling Rock beer from Wisconsin is not so good. And I hate Miller's High Life (more like Low Life).

Rolling Rock, Pabst Blue Ribbon, the darlings of the hipster set. Taste is individual so I don't berate anyone for what they like but I'm over the American mass-produced lagers. This coming from a man who once defended Miller Lite against all comers.

I see Budweiser at S & R but will never touch the stuff...

I just said to M, "If you have the money, why would you spend in on Budweiser?"

On a side note, the bar/resto up at Camp Sanbros is filled with Americana and I got a little tear in my eye upon seeing an old beer sign from Shaeffer. It was the beer my dad drank and so my first 'sneaky sip".

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Favourite beers for me in USA are Full Sail Ale (because I am a sailor?) and what used to be called Ballard Bitter but has since changed names and I have lost track of it.

In Australia, Taswegia's Cascade Bitter was a highlight of beer drinking.

Sorry JGF, but XXXX really didn't do it for me. But it was okay if super cold....

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I'm curious as to why any brewer would want to export the crap and keep the good stuff for the locals - it's not like they cannot produce enough of the good stuff for export.

I think it gained popularity overseas before its decline in Australia so they just kept catering to the overseas market.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm curious as to why any brewer would want to export the crap and keep the good stuff for the locals

Government regulations, perhaps.  I did a tour of a Scotch facility and they told the tour group that you can only get the good stuff in Scotland because government regulations require that they water down the stuff they sell to Canada.  (That was in the 1980s but could still be true)

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Government regulations, perhaps.  I did a tour of a Scotch facility and they told the tour group that you can only get the good stuff in Scotland because government regulations require that they water down the stuff they sell to Canada.  (That was in the 1980s but could still be true)

Could be true but I wonder why?

It just doesn't make sense to sell an inferior product in the export market unless it's to keep costs down given exporting will be more expensive than selling domestically. Maybe I've just answered my own question.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry JGF, but XXXX really didn't do it for me. But it was okay if super cold....

I never drank it either.

• Like 1