Employees

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

HK, you nailed it in one.

Even at Christmas my partners sister who is the manager, throws a Christmas party, pig on the spit, drinks and she makes sure everyone gets a present, even the children of the workers.

And they repay her how?

Personally I would give them nothing but their pay, which is what happened where I was working for 45 years, no Christmas parties nothing, but if our pay was late or was a bit short they got to know about it quick smart but they paid well so they had a very loyal workforce.

Reminds me of...no good turn ever............

Mate  romantic Valencia was chatting with me yesterday, mentioned the construction guys next door, unskilled were earning P150 a day. He advised them go to DOLE none would as many more waiting in line. Modern day slave labour.

RBM
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, hk blues said:

Then again, I don't have to employee people here.

And herein lies the difference.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, RBM said:

Reminds me of...no good turn ever............

Mate  romantic Valencia was chatting with me yesterday, mentioned the construction guys next door, unskilled were earning P150 a day. He advised them go to DOLE none would as many more waiting in line. Modern day slave labour.

Do they have the DOLE here, as in unemployment benefits?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Do they have the DOLE here, as in unemployment benefits?

DOLE "Department of Labour Employment "  a Government body to protect workers rights.  Unfortunately they appear to be toothless as the security company at my resort where I have an apartment went to put a grievance in against the resort for no 13th month pat, annual pay rise or even minimal pay.  The resorts answer was to cancel their employment and get replacements.  

• Sad 1

gerrysanders
Posted
Posted
On 2/6/2020 at 10:31 AM, Onemore52 said:

I won't continue this in the maid thread, although it is similar.

This morning we lost 4 employees at the factory:-

The first to go were 2 brothers, one of the brothers said he misses he girlfriend back in the province so he was leaving to go back to her, the brother said well if he is going so am I, he didn't want to be left here without his brother.

The next to go, used the old chestnut, that his mother was sick.

The last one to go said he was sick.

Personally I am sick of them as well!

Don't feel bad. This is happening all the time lately. They leave in groups and no advance notice. I just got stuck 2 weeks ago. Three in one day. The labor conditions for the past several years are on there side.

It used to be the Employer that dominated. The tables have turned and it's hard to find and keep labor now.

gerrysanders
Posted
Posted
On 2/6/2020 at 2:23 PM, Onemore52 said:

HK, you nailed it in one.

Even at Christmas my partners sister who is the manager, throws a Christmas party, pig on the spit, drinks and she makes sure everyone gets a present, even the children of the workers.

And they repay her how?

Personally I would give them nothing but their pay, which is what happened where I was working for 45 years, no Christmas parties nothing, but if our pay was late or was a bit short they got to know about it quick smart but they paid well so they had a very loyal workforce.

Can't. The Department of Labor has a law that every employee is entitled to what they call "13th month pay"  by the end of every year. So you are forced to give them the extra money.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

How you tried agency workers, I didn't realize until recently that my niece who works at Chowking works there through n agency.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm beginning to think employees have little respect for businesses as most businesses have no respect for them.  Foreign owned appearing to be slightly better. 

I've been assisting a friend who has been looking for a job since December.  She's handed out over 50 CV's to premises advertising for workers and had her fair share of interviews.  Everyone has assured her they will be in touch and to-date not a single reply.  She was even sent away with a shopping list of things to buy by one agency.  White shirt, white shoes, small white flower for her hair and certain medical tests.  She got the lot only to find out they'd employed someone else.  Not even an apology. 

Others at the interview told her she either works one week with no pay to see if she is suitable or starts on 200 peso per day for two months as a trainee.  If suitable she will get 300 peso.  The job was as a waitress.  Two months to learn how to take orders even though she has been a waitress previously for a few years. 

• Sad 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, gerrysanders said:

Can't. The Department of Labor has a law that every employee is entitled to what they call "13th month pay"  by the end of every year. So you are forced to give them the extra money.

One of the owners is with the local chamber of commerce, knows the rules and pays accordingly, no problems. The scene yesterday where one of the truck drivers demanded, yes demanded more pay because he has been here a long time, so the boss said NO and his reply was that he was going to quit if he didn't get what he wanted. Come back on Monday morning and we will pay you what we owe you for 2 days work was the reply from the boss.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 2/7/2020 at 11:28 AM, RBM said:

And herein lies the difference.

I know...that's why I said it.  :smile: