Mid size city with a beach

-A-
Posted
Posted

Hi all first post here. Before I go on I want to say congrats to the members here for the level of discourse which is far better than some other forums I've poked around on so kudos. 

I'm about to turn 57 and plan on moving to the Philippines later this year. I've already visited 4 times. Once for work in Manila and 3 times on holiday seeing different parts of the country so have some experience. 

So on to my question. I think what I'm looking for is a city that's not too big but also not too small hence my reference to a 'mid size'city. And located on the water either with beaches or at least they're close by. I've been to Dumaguete which I liked but it's probably too small for me. So what places fit the bill?  My research says maybe Iloilo or Bacalod or similar. Who can recommend some places for me to explore? 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Hi -A- and welcome.  Do you have a preference for North or South? It's almost like visiting 2 different countries in that respect.  

Given your comments I'm guessing somewhere in size in-between Dumaguete and Cebu City. 

I've never spent more than a couple of days in Iloilo or Bacolod but what I saw impressed me in both cities.  We have members in both that could give you more info, my missus isn't a fan of either as "they talk funny up there".

Puerto Princessa is beautiful but only slightly larger than Dumaguete but is better serviced than other locales due to the tourist trade there.  Downside is a bit more expensive because of the tourist trade.  Puerto Galera is in a similar boat but again, beautiful.

Tagbileran on Bohol really impressed me but may be too small for what you're after.

Exploring the Philippines is half the fun.  Maybe a couple of months in different locations would work for you depending on your circumstances.

Anyway, welcome again. 

• Like 4

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

I live in Iloilo, and travel through Bacolod fairly frequently.  Bacolod is a lot cheaper for some reason, but Ilo seems nicer and better organized in my opinion.  Neither one does a good job of offering a 'waterfront experience' like you would expect of a beach town or port city.  Dumaguete seems like they did a great job with that.  All three of these cities have traffic problems, although we can be thankful we are not in Cebu City or Manila in that regard.  

I'd be curious what others have to recommend about some of the outer locations like Leyte or Palawan.  Me I'm more of a rural guy at heart, and we are still searching for our place in the country.  

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Oh, I forgot to mention Tacloban.  Great city and you don't have to travel far for beaches.

• Like 2

-A-
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Hi -A- and welcome.  Do you have a preference for North or South? It's almost like visiting 2 different countries in that respect.  

Given your comments I'm guessing somewhere in size in-between Dumaguete and Cebu City. 

I've never spent more than a couple of days in Iloilo or Bacolod but what I saw impressed me in both cities.  We have members in both that could give you more info, my missus isn't a fan of either as "they talk funny up there".

Puerto Princessa is beautiful but only slightly larger than Dumaguete but is better serviced than other locales due to the tourist trade there.  Downside is a bit more expensive because of the tourist trade.  Puerto Galera is in a similar boat but again, beautiful.

Tagbileran on Bohol really impressed me but may be too small for what you're after.

Exploring the Philippines is half the fun.  Maybe a couple of months in different locations would work for you depending on your circumstances.

Anyway, welcome again. 

Thanks Brett. TBH I'm not aware of the differences between north and south?

And yes I think somewhere in between Dumaguete and Cebu City is on the money. 

I think I'll take my time and visit a handful of places once I narrow it down and spend a month or two in each.

-A-
Posted
Posted

As a point of reference for anyone who knows Nha Trang in Vietnam is what I have in mind. 

nhatrang.jpg

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I live in Iloilo, and travel through Bacolod fairly frequently.  Bacolod is a lot cheaper for some reason, but Ilo seems nicer and better organized in my opinion.  Neither one does a good job of offering a 'waterfront experience' like you would expect of a beach town or port city.  Dumaguete seems like they did a great job with that.  All three of these cities have traffic problems, although we can be thankful we are not in Cebu City or Manila in that regard.  

I'd be curious what others have to recommend about some of the outer locations like Leyte or Palawan.  Me I'm more of a rural guy at heart, and we are still searching for our place in the country.  

Pretty much all of the beaches in the Philippines and throughout the world have been ruined with plastic trash washing up on the shores. The idealistic place in your dreams is not around anymore. Better to get a place inland. That way you can ignore the trash problem like most of the people do.:sad:

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, -A- said:

As a point of reference for anyone who knows Nha Trang in Vietnam is what I have in mind. 

nhatrang.jpg

Sana-All as they say.  If only everyone could have that.  I disagree with AK, not all the beaches here are trashed.  Just the trashy ones:89:  But so far I have yet to find one 'developed' as in your pic.  They just haven't figured it out yet here.    

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

But so far I have yet to find one 'developed' as in your pic.

I totally agree with you.  I have yet to find a place in the Philippines that is more developed that Dumaguete and yet still has beaches like the picture the opening poster would like.  I would suggest he could find secluded beaches like Tom Hanks found in Castaway or polluted ocean on the edge of a large city.  In the middle would be places like others have mentioned but all come extremely far short of that picture.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, -A- said:

My research says maybe Iloilo or Bacalod or similar. Who can recommend some places for me to explore? 

I live in Iloilo.  For the beach... I go to Boracay.

3 hours ago, -A- said:

nhatrang.jpg

For that... I would suggest Mexico or Hawaii...  I have not seen that anywhere in the PIs. But would love to. :tiphat:

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 1