Mid size city with a beach

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

There is a beautiful little white sand island off the shore of Camiguin, no trash and the water is sparkling clean but you have to get there by boat ride because no one lives there full time (probably why it's so clean).  Must go back again...

I'm not aware of any clean large white sand beaches near to medium towns :89:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Take a look as Nasabu in Batangas. About 2 hours from Manila max

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Look for a beach that's not located close to a river or stream.... that's not as easy as it sounds... because most cities and towns have grown up around them.  There are some nice clean beaches facing the Pacific Ocean in Eastern Samar... I'm sure there are other locations. 

Agree with the plastic problem... really depends on the location of the current bringing it from sources worldwide... and/or poor local practices... that not withstanding... there are many beaches that are absolutely fine... at the moment :wink:

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Eastern Samar may also give you a better chance of having real waves.  When I go to a beach here, I'm always pining for the crashing waves.  

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm in Iloilo. It fits the bill perfectly in all respects except the beaches. I doubt there are any mid-sized cities here that also have picture-postcard beaches. There are a few not bad small beaches around and Boracay is within driving distance so a good enough compromise.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I live in Iloilo, and travel through Bacolod fairly frequently.  Bacolod is a lot cheaper for some reason, but Ilo seems nicer and better organized in my opinion.  Neither one does a good job of offering a 'waterfront experience' like you would expect of a beach town or port city.  Dumaguete seems like they did a great job with that.  All three of these cities have traffic problems, although we can be thankful we are not in Cebu City or Manila in that regard.  

I'd be curious what others have to recommend about some of the outer locations like Leyte or Palawan.  Me I'm more of a rural guy at heart, and we are still searching for our place in the country.  

In same situation as this poster and totally agree. 

Beaches for both are some distance and on weekends very crowded. How ever the up town area of IloIlo is very modern and acceptable, be it expensive.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

In same situation as this poster and totally agree. 

Beaches for both are some distance and on weekends very crowded. How ever the up town area of IloIlo is very modern and acceptable, be it expensive.

Agreed that the newly developed areas surrounding SM City are very expensive but there are several very nice subdivisions within 30 minutes drive of the city which are nice.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Also the "esplanade" area (riverwalk) in Ilo is becoming a real highlight.  They did a good job with it.  Supposedly there is a development plan for the waterfront too, but I have only heard rumors of it.  If I had the money to invest, I'd be looking at properties along the future development there.  

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Most all beach side medium cities in the Philippines look their best at high tide, essentially if the water reaches the sea wall.

• Like 1

-A-
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've added Tacloban to the list. 

I kinda thought there wouldn't be anywhere that exactly fits the bill but if there's beaches nearby that's close enough.

The reason I'm looking for beaches is I love to swim in the ocean plus snorkel, sail, kayak and even surf a bit. But travelling out of town or even a bit further away will be fine. I've been to Boracay and enjoyed it so will definitely go back. Plus Samar island is already on my list of places to explore. And I went to Siargao last year for 8 days and loved it. Not to live but I'd go back for another holiday. 

• Like 2