Question about visa approval timeline after 221(g)

Crum1515
Posted
Posted

Good morning!  Quick question: fiancee just had her K1 interview at the embassy in Manila and they want an NBI and CENOMAR in her old name (name on birth certificate was wrong, so we went through the courts and corrected it) since we only brought the ones in her corrected name - once we get those documents to them, what kind of timeline are we looking at for approval and visa issuance?

Only asking because my tourist visa is up April 2nd and I am trying to decide on adding another extension (if it will be quick) or just heading home now and coming back (if it will be a while).

Anyone have an experience with situations similar?

Crum1515
Posted
Posted

Guess it will help to say this was with the US Embassy.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I was able to do a search (google "k1 visa philippines how long from interview to visa") and found a website that says 4-6 weeks.    This was a website for an attorney so I will not post that URL here.  You may also want to read the information from the USA embassy website for the Philippines.  This site says that the applicant will be advised following the interview if they passed and when to expect the visa.   Hope all goes well for you and your future bride.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/after-the-interview/

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There will be some who have done it so if you wait a while you will get a response, however your question is not one that the majority of us deal with.  Timeline in the Philippines is the subject of extensive humor.  Just wait a while.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Crum1515 said:

nly asking because my tourist visa is up April 2nd and I am trying to decide on adding another extension (if it will be quick)

Do it and work it out from  there .

Crum1515
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the replies!  I got in touch with my lawyer finally, and he said it would be 1-4 weeks; so looks like I will just tack another 2 months on my visa and let work know I will be abroad for longer.  Been waiting 8 months so far since filing the petition, whats a few more months haha.

• Like 1

Crum1515
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike J said:

You may also want to read the information from the USA embassy website for the Philippines.  This site says that the applicant will be advised following the interview if they passed and when to expect the visa.

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately since we got a 221g we were neither approved or denied; so we are in limbo a little bit until we get them the documents and they "re-evaluate".  Luckily we dont have to travel back to manila, we just drop her passport and the supporting docs at the courier.  Not a common situation, but some deep googling and my lawyer are saying probably a month or two of extra wait time.

• 2 months later...
PPGfreak
Posted
Posted
On 2/19/2020 at 7:55 PM, Crum1515 said:

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately since we got a 221g we were neither approved or denied; so we are in limbo a little bit until we get them the documents and they "re-evaluate".  Luckily we dont have to travel back to manila, we just drop her passport and the supporting docs at the courier.  Not a common situation, but some deep googling and my lawyer are saying probably a month or two of extra wait time.

Sorry to hear you got an RFE or 221g as they are not fun. I got one a while back and had a couple friends go through it as well. 

They are currently saying 4-6 weeks but I'm seeing most take longer. I'm a little concerned because they didn't keep her passport. When my wife got one they kept her passport to add the K1 visa to it and said they would mail it after she get them the RFE (proof I was divorced). So she dropped that off a couple days later and then the vis/passport showed up a couple weeks later. If they gave her passport back to her it means they are not confident in her visa. I would email them or have her email them with your case number. They are not taking on any new interviews but they are still working and responding. Hope it works out for you guys!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, PPGfreak said:

Hope it works out for you guys!

The OP has not been back since Feb 21 so something would have happened by now one would think but then again with the current circumstances, who knows.

PPGfreak
Posted
Posted

Agree with you there. They shut down in March so more than likely she did not receive it in time. Unfortunately when it shows up flying will also be an obstacle.