Better just stay put, then

stevewool
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Watching the ripple effects of virus cases and travel bans, I have decided to stay here for a while.  We were looking at a possible business trip to the US in May.  I still may need to go to Taiwan, and that worries me a bit.  With the US trip, it was starting to look unlikely that we could get a visa appointment for the Asawa in time to actually plan the trip and get decent airline tickets.  Then I thought, well what if I just go by myself.  But THEN it hit me how almost every day different bans affecting different countries and all.  No way to predict what happens in the next two months.  

Stevewool looks like he just made it out to England, who knows if it would have been possible in a few more weeks.  Last thing I need is to get stuck somewhere, with the Asawa back in PH.  Or to return from somewhere only to be chucked in a quarantine room for two weeks as a precaution.  

Better just stay put for now. 

It’s going to get worst before it gets better, we was looking at getting away into Europe but with everyday another country is either closing something down or you may not get flights back , plus will travel insurance cover for problems like these , like you say Better stay put for now, where ever we are.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Better just stay put for now. 

The timing really sucks for us.  We are changing the kids from a Filipino school schedule to an American school schedule.  So, one time only,  they would have an extra long summer break, starting in April and back to school in August.  4+ months.  And it would be the last April break we have so I was serious about taking my wife to Keukenhof Gardens in Netherlands.  It is on her bucket list and they are only open mid-March to mid-May.

I was going to budget for some big trips, but now the international travel is out, unless something changes by June/July/August.  Hopefully, if the Philippines does not get worse we can do some domestic trips.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

We make a trip to the states every two years to visit family and friends as well as shopping for the few items we cannot locate here.  Big boy clothes for one.  This is our year to go.  Plus my father is not well and would be nice to see him again.  Because of our daughter being in school we usually go around April-May.  This year my oldest grandson is graduating high school #1 in his class.  He requested we attend and I would really like to be there for that.  I bought our tickets just after the first of the year leaving May 4.  This was just before the news broke about the virus. Best flight and price I have gotten for a while.  However, with all the goings on, the same flights I could save over $700. on the three tickets if I bought them today.      Now with the latest news showing no improvement on containment and many more cases of unknown origin, it is looking more likely we will cancel and stay put.  On the downside of this is we will have to wait another full year until the next school summer before we could try it again.

• Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The timing really sucks for us. 

Me also, I am in Australia selling an investment property and I was looking at flying back after the contracts finalize.

I normally book flights about 8 weeks out from departure to get a good price (which would be soon) but that's probably not a good idea right now.  I could pay for a fully flexible fare but those cost a lot more and there is still no guarantee.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I normally book flights about 8 weeks out from departure to get a good price (which would be soon) but that's probably not a good idea right now.  I could pay for a fully flexible fare but those cost a lot more and there is still no guarantee.

Exactly.  I'm booking for 5 heads so it is very expensive!  And, as someone said, I don't think travel insurance would cover a trip cancellation for this situation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I think that is a good idea.  Lyn and I are back in Canada and we will just stay put and stay inside our suite.  The neighbors are happy too.  There was a lot of concern in this small town that we might be coming from Asia and spreading some disease among the locals so all were thrilled to hear that we were sel-quarantining for 10 days (unless we start to show symptoms - so far so good).

Of course, if the virus does manage to make it to our small town then I am sure we will be blamed.  That is the nature of small towns.  But on the bright side, friends and family drop groceries off outside the door so we do not have to go anywhere.  Lovely stuff!

• Like 5

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Exactly.  I'm booking for 5 heads so it is very expensive!  And, as someone said, I don't think travel insurance would cover a trip cancellation for this situation.

Hey OMW,

I was just reading a CNN article where they were advising people to buy either refundable tickets or cancle-for-any-reason travel insurance. Both are fairly expensive but may give people some peace of mind.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm torn as well between decisions.  Do I walk out of my path and turn left or do I turn right?  I'm one of life's optimists and believe the virus is more of a hindrance for the majority of people and will soon become yesterday's news.  Best just to live for the day and enjoy life unless you have any serious underlying health issues. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Balisidar said:

Hey OMW,

I was just reading a CNN article where they were advising people to buy either refundable tickets or cancle-for-any-reason travel insurance. Both are fairly expensive but may give people some peace of mind.

That is what I mean.  Too expensive for us to do that, especially for Int'l.

The airlines might advise that for the sake of their revenues too.  If they can get people to buy full price tickets it might make up for some of the losses they are incurring.

If this goes on for too long, the travel industry will be in big trouble.  Only those with deep pockets will be able to weather the storm.

• Like 3