How Filipinos look at foreigners

graham59
Posted
Posted

They know my 'status' as soon as they see my old pushbike with DIY child seat.  :mocking:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We live in a very average house in a middle-class subdivision.  We are one of the few families with no car - despite our humble lifestyle we are still considered as the rich family simply because I am a foreigner.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

We live in a very average house in a middle-class subdivision.  We are one of the few families with no car - despite our humble lifestyle we are still considered as the rich family simply because I am a foreigner.  

I have found that when they think you are rich, it just means that you have enough money to pay rent and buy food. They have a different definition than we have. And if you own a car..OMG..filthy rich.:smile:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
brianmurphy49
Posted
Posted

My wife and I arrived here last July as foreign missionaries from the US. We connected with the English congregation in Dumaguete to cater only to foreigners. We have had many good discussions with locals too and we do public ministry on the boulevard and other public areas. I find the locals very easy to talk to, always having a smile and they are very pleasant to talk to. When they get to know you a bit better, then they almost always ask from where you come and what kind of family you have. They take a keen interest in your personal life. Yes, we get the odd one begging for money of course, not knowing because of our attire,  taking us for "rich". But this is part of the culture here and we accept it. I find the average Filipino has been down-trodden due to the political/religious climate actually suppressing their basic human freedoms such as being able to maintain an income sufficient enough to support a reasonably sized family. So they have huge entities fighting against them.

The foreigners, by contrast that we do talk to, for the most part are more prone to reject any efforts to engage in conversation unless it is a person of his home country. There is an attitude of self sufficiency. 

The forum here is how Filipinos look at foreigners. I can say having spoken with hundreds of locals that they do feel intimidated by us foreigners. They also feel inferior (which is definitely not the case) to us since we are from such a prosperous foreign country. We as foreigners could learn some great lessons from the humility of the Filipinos, their love of life and family attachments.