Travel to & from the Philippines ? is it impossible ?

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Stop by here any time... I still have a few San Mig Lights here...

Best of luck to you, and please stay in touch here.

Tom

Many thanks for the invitation but while we have this lock down as much as I would love a beer together, there is no way to get there, may be when things are back to normal & we can do a bit of travelling around. Best wishes to you and yours, stay safe & healthy, by the way you would always be welcome here for a visit to.

• Thanks 1

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, RBM said:

Normally the embassy provides a travel pass for people using these flights. Still no guarantee if one strikes a bone head at a check point, best to also obtain a mayors travel pass.

GeoffH your bang on, these flights are not cheap, the recent one to NZ was about 3 times the normal price.

Yes I am sure the flights are going to be a premium price for a while, we will have to wait months before we go back to the UK, its going to take ages for them to get rid of the virus and I am not leaving the safety of San Mariano to catch the virus in the UK. I just hopw while waiting for the UK to get its shit together, here in the country they relax the lockdown a little so we can get out a bit more and I can have a BEER  at long last  :shooter: 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, John Chamberlain said:

Many thanks for the invitation but while we have this lock down as much as I would love a beer together, there is no way to get there, may be when things are back to normal & we can do a bit of travelling around. Best wishes to you and yours, stay safe & healthy, by the way you would always be welcome here for a visit to.

Noted and accepted, John.

You, too, stay safe and healthy...

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/22/2020 at 9:50 AM, GeoffH said:

From what I've read they're neither cheap nor necessarily easy to access since they're flying out of Manila (not much help to people who can't get to Manila).

There not all flying from Manila. They are flying from Cebu and a few days ago Dumaguete  and possibly other places. Sweeper fights are picking them up and bring them to the major cities and usually organised by the tourisam department and or governments.

I assume the cost is high as some planes wont be full or if they do the right thing then every second seat is empty also they will be flying into  the Philippines with no passengers..

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

PAL has a Manila-London flight today the 24th.  British nationals, dependents and OFWs only.  Be interesting to see how much.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, John Chamberlain said:

Yes I am sure the flights are going to be a premium price for a while, we will have to wait months before we go back to the UK, its going to take ages for them to get rid of the virus and I am not leaving the safety of San Mariano to catch the virus in the UK. I just hopw while waiting for the UK to get its shit together, here in the country they relax the lockdown a little so we can get out a bit more and I can have a BEER  at long last  :shooter: 

Its probably best to stay in the Philippines john , we are about to hit 19k deaths here

Im guessing how its going to be dealt with here in the UK  i work for the NHS

My best guess at the moment is that they are gearing up towards testing ,there are about 5 medical centers that i visit that have red zones , these are on the increase , im guesssing that they are going to be part of a system that is going to accept a percentage of casualties  , the ones that have been tested and found to have had the virus will be returned to work and the ones that have the virus will be treated accordingly 

Personal view point here ,that the covid virus is here to stay and will take an annual death toll in the same way that the flu does at present 

We will all eventually get an annual jab for the virus ,but in a similar way to the current flu jab ,this will only protect you against last year's flu

The real race is on now , the financial figures coming out are going to leave the UK with a debt that will be greater than the debt of WW2 ,we only finished paying that off 10 or so years ago 

• Like 1

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
On 4/24/2020 at 12:18 AM, bastonjock said:

Its probably best to stay in the Philippines john , we are about to hit 19k deaths here

Im guessing how its going to be dealt with here in the UK  i work for the NHS

My best guess at the moment is that they are gearing up towards testing ,there are about 5 medical centers that i visit that have red zones , these are on the increase , im guesssing that they are going to be part of a system that is going to accept a percentage of casualties  , the ones that have been tested and found to have had the virus will be returned to work and the ones that have the virus will be treated accordingly 

Personal view point here ,that the covid virus is here to stay and will take an annual death toll in the same way that the flu does at present 

We will all eventually get an annual jab for the virus ,but in a similar way to the current flu jab ,this will only protect you against last year's flu

The real race is on now , the financial figures coming out are going to leave the UK with a debt that will be greater than the debt of WW2 ,we only finished paying that off 10 or so years ago 

Thanks for that Bastonjock, We are so much safer in the Philippines at the moment, where we are in Isabela, Near San Mariano we are totally free of any virus, so we have decided to stay here and forget about going back to the UK on the 22nd of May, there probably won't be any flights any way, we are in no rush to go home but to continue are retirement plans we do need to go to the UK to clear our house out & send most of our stuff in a container to the Philippines, then with the house rented out & pensions we can live very well, at the moment we are using our savings which is ok but no a long term solution. I was hoping that they would in a few months have this virus beaten in the UK but that sound unlikely from what you have said !! I think we will have to hope for a vaccine asap but thats likely to be a long way off. I think the NHS and all the staff are doing a wonderful job, so many thanks to you all and thanks for your information, its a very grim picture grim picture for the future and the debt will have so many repercussions in the future !! Best wishes to you & your family, stay healthy.

• Love it 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, John Chamberlain said:

Thanks for that Bastonjock, We are so much safer in the Philippines at the moment, where we are in Isabela, Near San Mariano we are totally free of any virus, so we have decided to stay here and forget about going back to the UK on the 22nd of May, there probably won't be any flights any way, we are in no rush to go home but to continue are retirement plans we do need to go to the UK to clear our house out & send most of our stuff in a container to the Philippines, then with the house rented out & pensions we can live very well, at the moment we are using our savings which is ok but no a long term solution. I was hoping that they would in a few months have this virus beaten in the UK but that sound unlikely from what you have said !! I think we will have to hope for a vaccine asap but thats likely to be a long way off. I think the NHS and all the staff are doing a wonderful job, so many thanks to you all and thanks for your information, its a very grim picture grim picture for the future and the debt will have so many repercussions in the future !! Best wishes to you & your family, stay healthy.

Be careful with renting out the house , im looking after my friends affairs whilst he is in pampanga , of the 3 rental properties that he has , one guy has not paid for 6 months and another for 3 months ,as a result of new legislation, getting them evicted is proving troublesome, more so than before covid 

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Be careful with renting out the house , im looking after my friends affairs whilst he is in pampanga , of the 3 rental properties that he has , one guy has not paid for 6 months and another for 3 months ,as a result of new legislation, getting them evicted is proving troublesome, more so than before covid 

Maybe there should be a local version of " Nightmare Tenants and Slum Landlords. ".. great UK show about tenants who dont pay, get taken to court and eventually bailiffs arrive to retake posession.... sadly in most cases the house owner is out many months and rents before this happens ans they are usually so pissed off that they sell the properties they owned anfd dreamed of renting out. All the shows are on You Tube.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Maybe there should be a local version of " Nightmare Tenants and Slum Landlords. ".. great UK show about tenants who dont pay, get taken to court and eventually bailiffs arrive to retake posession.... sadly in most cases the house owner is out many months and rents before this happens ans they are usually so pissed off that they sell the properties they owned anfd dreamed of renting out. All the shows are on You Tube.

This is one of the reasons I chose to sell my UK house and HK house when I moved away - too many potential issues and managing from a distance is troublesome for me.  

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic