We're really very fortunate

peterfe
Posted
Posted

You may not think so, in the never-ending lockdown, but the Philippines is almost certainly the only country where most of us can stay as "tourists" for three years. Statistically, most of us have still got 1-2 years to go, but there will have been some unlucky ones whose three years were almost up, and they had to decide between leaving and not seeing their gf again for a (very) long time and staying on illegally after the three years (don't know what happens then!). My point is that if you'd decided to find a gf in Taiwan, Thailand or almost anywhere else you would have had visa runs much more often and would have had to leave already. As it is, most of us are sitting pretty, we can be with our gf, and by the time our three years are up we will hopefully be allowed to leave and come back.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, peterfe said:

but there will have been some unlucky ones whose three years were almost up, and they had to decide between leaving and not seeing their gf again for a (very) long time and staying on illegally after the three years (don't know what happens then!).

Immigration has said that those whose visas run out during the quarantine will not be penalized.  They need to catch-up within 30 days of the end of the quarantine.  However, ending the 3 year maximum stay during the quarantine does present an interesting dilemma.  Would they give you 30 days to leave?

• Hmm thinking 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Immigration has said that those whose visas run out during the quarantine will not be penalized.  They need to catch-up within 30 days of the end of the quarantine.  However, ending the 3 year maximum stay during the quarantine does present an interesting dilemma.  Would they give you 30 days to leave?

I don't think anybody knows how it will be dealt with. Ya gotta cut some slack. :huh:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I don't think anybody knows how it will be dealt with. Ya gotta cut some slack. :huh:

:huh: Let's hope they do :shades:

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

:huh: Let's hope they do :shades:

I don't think they will really have a choice. :huh:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Arizona Kid said:

:smile: Ak don't forget where we are lies are cheap and life is cheaper :wink: 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

The other choice is they are detained as over stayers and then deported (which would probably make it difficult to return).

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The other choice is they are detained as over stayers and then deported (which would probably make it difficult to return).

And cost the government a lot of trouble and paperwork, my guess is they'll take the easy option.

Regardless of if the current Admin is friendly with the Chinese it is of significant geopolitical importance to have a lot of retired US military here. Options.

Edited by AusExpat

peterfe
Posted
Posted

Well, if this ban on tourists entering drags on for many months, sooner or later there will be one or two people on this forum who find themselves in that situation. Though if they decide to stay here, they may keep quiet about it.

I agree that it will probably be ok, if you play your cards right. As soon as the ban on tourists entering is lifted, you buy a ticket to HK or somewhere, take it along to the BI along with plenty of cash, be polite and apologetic and wear reasonably smart clothes. If your gf is good at talking to such people, bring her and e.g. her mother, have them wait outside and only use them if you seem to be getting nowhere. Alternatively, have a coffee with the boss of the BI to see if you can sort something out.

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

It's really quite simple.

The government will give a date by which time all foreigners in the country will need to have 'regularised' their visa/residency status.

So far, 30 days grace has been indicated, which should be plenty (and is pretty much the present norm anyway).

No need to talk about breaking the law here.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic