Suggestions To Make The Rp A 1St World Status

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

So what do people think would help the Philippines to become a first world nation? Or at least head in that direction for the near future. I guess we all know that it takes money to do that and I have suggested in the past medical tourism and promoting ways to make it easier for foreigners to stay in the country longer so they can spend more of their money. What would you like to see done to make life smoother for you, your friends and possibly your family?I know that one thing I would like to see done is a long term immigration policy, sort of like the green card issued to Resident Aliens in the US that makes it possible for them to stay forever or for a set period of time when a review would then be made. In the US people are given a 2 year temporary resident alien card and then they are required to check back in and fill out more papers for that status to become permanent or just renewed for another set time frame. I do not know how it is done in other first world countries but IMO the 59 days visa granted in the Philippines is not enough and I think they should give people the option to pay for a longer period of time if they wish to. Understand that I am not saying this for me because my wife and I get a Balikbayan stamp and can stay a year at a time, so I am saying this with the whole idea of helping the Philippines and others. What do you think? Would longer visas make life a lot easier and make more people wish to come and stay longer? and what other suggestions can you make?

• Like 1

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

Cheaper air fares. Also, the naturalization laws here date from 1939 and should be changed to streamline the path to citizenship (and permit the new citizen to keep their foreign citizenship)...

Edited by M.Morey
  • Like 1

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I think there are 3 things that have to happen before the Philippines can make serious advances and become a better place to live.1. Corruption must be curtailed. The RP has OK revenue but much of it is siphoned off and does not get spent wisely.2. Stop the brain drain caused by the OFW system. A country cannot really advance when its best and brightest prefer to live and work in other countries. 3. End the fighting with MILF and other groups. There is no way the Philippines will ever develop its natural resources and attract serious foreign investment if they are fighting a separatist movement in the resource rich area of the country.I think medical tourism and immigration reform would be great to see but I don't think they will happen unless the items I mentioned are taken care of first. How will the RP attract medical tourists while many of their doctors prefer to work overseas as nurses?As for immigration reform, the Philippines needs to raise the quality of the immigrants they attract. I would like to see a visa that is available to people under the current sec 13 and SRRV programs that includes the right to own limited residential property. Let people who are married to Filipinos or willing to invest in the country get residency visas and remain here long term. For tourist visas, let people stay up to 30 days on a waiver and then make them leave the country for 30 days before they are eligible for another waiver. The current tourist visa system simply enables people to be de facto residents without really investing in the country.

• Like 3

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

1. Corruption needs to be reduced or better hidden (similar to the West :lol:)2. Introduction of new policies to allow foreign business ownership and development.3. Introduction of a minimum period after qualification of a skill base that is in high demand to work within the country for 1 - 5 years.4. Showing things can and will change and that the whole country wants it (not half hearted which results in corruption).5. Abolishing the strangle hold of companies such as Nestle and San Miguel allowing "fair trade" for anyone who wants to compete.6. Concessions for new investment and a guaranteed protection from attack either from within government or gangs.7. Introduction of a highly motivated and transparent anti corruption law enforcement agency.8. Redevelopment of key sectors of cities for business growth and tied with those developments adequate housing projects.9. Satellite city development e.g. Cebu is overflowing with population growth development of a modern satellite city will stunt development aswell as create new jobs and investment.10. Introduction of a Tourism monitoring board to bring up quality and standards across hotel, resort and pension houses. As well as monitoring and standardisation of Tour operators, diving schools and all other service providers of this sector.11. Introduction of a board in charge of "places of interest" and historical locations to make them more accessible to the public as well as safe guard from vandalism, theft and poor maintenance.12. Open minded business development allowing local to merge ideas with overseas companies pushing forward with new ideas and progression of localised companies.13. Business development fund, free training and a mentoring service to help fufill some of the gaps.14. Redevelopment of infrastructure.15. Reduced visa process and introduction of waivers for those over a certain fixed amount per month of income who can provide accurate information.I think these few ideas would help improve things a long way.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

"So what do people think would help the Philippines to become a first world nation? Or at least head in that direction for the near future."Poverty and unemployment, caused by overpopulation, are the main factors for the myriad number of social and health problems there. The Philippine population is increasing at a rate of over 2 million per year; most of them born to those who can support them the least. The economy cannot even begin to support the ever-growing population. Senate Bill 3122 (The Reproductive Health and Population Development Bill) funds education about family planning and allows for free or low-cost access to contraceptive measures. It would also mandate sex education in all schools from fifth grade through high school. The Catholic Church strongly opposes the bill.

• Like 1

Guardian
Posted
Posted

I think higher bank insurance on dollar or other foreign currency accounts would encourage larger amounts of available cash which might make people spend more of their available money. I would also very much like to see an immigration policy friendlier longer visas to people who bring in their retirement money.

• Like 1

daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just make the country a peaceful place to live, thus attracting more tourists and investors.....then get rid of all corrupt officials both elected and appointed! 23_11_59%5B1%5D.gif

Edited by daisy
  • Like 2

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)
<br><b>"So what do people think would help the Philippines to become a first world nation? Or at least head in that direction for the near future."<br><br></b>Poverty and unemployment, caused by overpopulation, are the main factors for the myriad number of social and health problems there. The Philippine population is increasing at a rate of over 2 million per year; most of them born to those who can support them the least. The economy cannot even begin to support the ever-growing population. Senate Bill 3122 (The Reproductive Health and Population Development Bill) funds education about family planning and allows for free or low-cost access to contraceptive measures. It would also mandate sex education in all schools from fifth grade through high school. <br>The Catholic Church strongly opposes the bill.<br>
There are plenty of predominantly Catholic countries that do not have the problems the Philippines does. Italy and Ireland come to mind. I believe the Church also opposed measures such as Bill 3122 in those countries as well. The difference is, their political leaders had the will to base public policy on what they thought was best for the country, not on what the Church said or their personal faith. If there is an institution to blame for the population and poverty problems it is the government. The efforts to pass Bill 3122 or similar measures has been going on for years, yet the politicians always fail to pass it. I have to question whether Filipinos want this bill passed or not. If they felt strongly that they needed Bill 3122, wouldn't they have elected people to Congress that would vote to pass it? Edited by TheMason

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Doesnt every country have governments playing an odd game? Look at the UK and US just printing money because bringing the countries into line would be political suicide. The issues may be different but the politicians will always be the same LOOKING AFTER No.1

• 2 years later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Just make the country a peaceful place to live, thus attracting more tourists and investors.....then get rid of all corrupt officials both elected and appointed! 23_11_59%5B1%5D.gif
YES INDEED, this would help alotxmas_girl%20(1).gif .