When Travel Reopens

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I think you're mixing your colours up.  White is moisture, usually head gasket, black is hydro carbon from incorrect fuel mixture, plugs, injectors etc and bluish is burning oil.  All tricycles I've seen are 4 stroke mainly Honda or Kawasaki. The Jeepneys are so old they'd struggle even fully tuned to meet current emission regulations.

I stand corrected on the smoke colours, I was simplifying, as a blown head gasket doesn't usually last on the road for weeks on end while I've seen local bus companies blowing clouds black smoke for weeks on end. (You'd think the fuel savings would encourage them to fix it).

We have one really old 2 stroke trike near my place, owner operated "have no money" called him a liar to his face as we own a trike here and I know how much our driver makes.

I'd hesitate to agree on the old engines though, once rebuilt they are as new, and rebuilds aren't that expensive, usually the commercial jeepney engines are replaced with "japan surplus" engines every so often too. Whether they do it or pay a backhander at registration time is another issue though. Then there's whole saving costs to purchase one of the new 'jeepneys' that are coming into service in Manila to factor in too. I've been behind a jeepney with no brake lights suddenly brake to pick up a pasenger too.... so yeah, I have to agree.

Though to be fair once they changed the green buses and regulated the red buses in Bangkok their was a noticable differnce in air quality.

My 2 sentavo.

• Like 1