Working from Home

insite
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

There are a couple of issues that I see for most part of working from home in the Philippines, one is obviously internet speed or reliability. But then you have the environment, for many of us sitting in a nice quite condo or house which is secure its easy to think how working at home would be easy. Many workers live in boarding houses or run down homes, no quiet areas, kids screaming, dogs barking etc which is not good for clients paying call centers to provide a service for them. There are other type of work from home that occurs such as accounting and office work which is perhaps just a bit easier but would depend on ones home environment. 

The discussion appears to be focusing in the main on working from home in the Philippines and whilst that may be pertinent on this forum this trend will be universal in both developed and emerging economies where many of the reservations expressed may not be so problematic.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Fixed quote posting issue
  • Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, insite said:

The discussion appears to be focusing in the main on working from home in the Philippines and whilst that may be pertinent on this forum this trend will be universal in both developed and emerging economies where many of the reservations expressed may not be so problematic.

Well it is a Philippines forum so thats generally what we are thinking when posting. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

insite
Posted
Posted

Yes of course - I agree in full

However many of your members still live and earn abroad possibly living part of the time here or planning to settle here in time and it is always interesting to hear of developments in other countries which may or may not be relevant to the developments of the Phills.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, insite said:

Yes of course - I agree in full

However many of your members still live and earn abroad possibly living part of the time here or planning to settle here in time and it is always interesting to hear of developments in other countries which may or may not be relevant to the developments of the Phills.

Im not saying its not but I guess it could have been worded differently in the opening post to reflect on a worldwide change for work at home so a few of us that live here only thoughts about that part I guess. :tiphat:

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Mike J said:

When I retired the company asked me if I could work remotely on an as required consultant basis.  We agreed that six months should be sufficient for new staff to become completely trained and knowledge.  The six months turned into 30 months.   A dedicated machine was kept running at company HQ 24 by 7 for me to access via secure tunnel VPN.  Access to that computer then allowed access to all computers and servers, both LAN and WAN owned by the company.   It worked out quite well all things considered.  The only real problem was slow internet on this end and the time difference between here and the US.   They lagged behind me by 16 hours so their 8:00 am was midnight for me.

This is exactly what my boss is suggesting to me after I retire.  He wants to avoid a huge brain drain, even though I have fully documented my functions in a day to day basis.  If the price is right I might seriously think about it.

insite
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Im not saying its not but I guess it could have been worded differently in the opening post to reflect on a worldwide change for work at home so a few of us that live here only thoughts about that part I guess. :tiphat:

Pardon me all over the place !

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There is an alternative to "work-at-home" which is the cluster concept.  If I was a senior executive with a Metro Manila or Cebu based company, one possibility is to do a study determining where employees reside.  You then create small offices close to their homes to minimize commute.  The smaller office locations are electronically linked to HQ.  Those who can would be permitted to work from home commuting to the office when necessary or needed.  (I thought the issue of internet connectivity in the Philippines has improved during the past few years.)

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Balisidar said:

This is exactly what my boss is suggesting to me after I retire.  He wants to avoid a huge brain drain, even though I have fully documented my functions in a day to day basis.  If the price is right I might seriously think about it.

That was also the situation at my company.  I had developed and written the majority of the software over a period of many years.  Their primary concern was "what if something unexpected happens", or "we need to changes made to existing code because . . . "   As for pay, might I recommend you do a bit of research and find what consultants make on a daily basis.  If your employer was like mine they may consider fair pay to be what you make now, divided by the hours you work, then factor back in something for loss of benefits, health insurance, employer social security, etc.   

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

(I thought the issue of internet connectivity in the Philippines has improved during the past few years.)

Still depends a lot on where you live.  Many, perhaps most, rural and provincial areas are still not well served.  I am hoping that changes with the new telco provider but the jury is still out.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, insite said:

Pardon me all over the place !

Not sure what you are on about. I answerd your posts as you write it.

OK, no problem. All I was saying if you want to bring up a subject that is not just about the Philippines then please let us know. I think the opening post is not your own words as seems a copy and paste from somewhere but all I was saying is that many of us "think" Philippines because we live here and this damn virus "here" and other factors is our main concern for most. "Here" in the Philippines, working from home, thats what I seen or thought in your opening post.

All good, not arguing and really dont care. :89:

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic