Working from Home

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Still depends a lot on where you live.  Many, perhaps most, rural and provincial areas are still not well served.  I am hoping that changes with the new telco provider but the jury is still out.

Mike, just a quick clarification.  If you reside in Metro Manila or Metro Cebu, are you assured of good internet availability?  Or is it still dependent on which areas within the two metros?  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Mike, just a quick clarification.  If you reside in Metro Manila or Metro Cebu, are you assured of good internet availability?  Or is it still dependent on which areas within the two metros?  

I live in the province so can't give you the best answer for internet speed within the the larger cities.  I expect other forum members will address your question.

insite
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not sure what you are on about. I answerd your posts as you write it.

OK, no problem. All I was saying if you want to bring up a subject that is not just about the Philippines then please let us know. I think the opening post is not your own words as seems a copy and paste from somewhere but all I was saying is that many of us "think" Philippines because we live here and this damn virus "here" and other factors is our main concern for most. "Here" in the Philippines, working from home, thats what I seen or thought in your opening post.

All good, not arguing and really dont care. :89:

The opening , middle and the closing sections of my posting are all my own words set in the sequence I deemed appropriate to convey my message and initiate discussion.

if you are not arguing and dont care then what are you on about ?

Enough.

insite
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

JJ , I cannot speak for Manila or Cebu but here in Davao there is one company some Aussie friends use for their tech businesses that require reliable and fast internet  - I am too far from the city center to use them but have been given positive reports.

Here is their link - http://www.dctechmicro.com/dctech/contact-us/

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Here in Cagayan de Oro, which is a fairly large city with several call centers, internet is provided by Globe and PLDT. (There are a few smaller providers but they use the network of the two main players) Until about four months ago they were both reasonably fast and reliable. However since about March there has been a noticeable reduction in speed and reliability, especially late afternoon and evening. I guess the reduction is down to increased home usage. They have also been heavily promoting their services so that may well have led to increased demand on the system!

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

insite
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

Here in Cagayan de Oro, which is a fairly large city with several call centers, internet is provided by Globe and PLDT. (There are a few smaller providers but they use the network of the two main players) Until about four months ago they were both reasonably fast and reliable. However since about March there has been a noticeable reduction in speed and reliability, especially late afternoon and evening. I guess the reduction is down to increased home usage. They have also been heavily promoting their services so that may well have led to increased demand on the system!

We have exactly the same here with PLDT Fibre - we pay for 50 mbps and throughout the day its good but between 17.00 and 22.00 it gets rather choppy - we stream a UK TV service here through Singapore and at these times we get multiple time outs which freeze the service.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Huggybearman said:

However since about March there has been a noticeable reduction in speed and reliability, especially late afternoon and evening. I guess the reduction is down to increased home usage.

Hi Bearman...

I really believe that this is due to people staying at home and playing with/using FaceBook and so many other social networks... Remember that the quarantine really took hold in March?

But internet was truly horrible last week, I read that Smart (Stupid in my vernacular!!!) had a "system issue" but I believe that is fixed now.

Recently, I find that 6 pm -9 pm are horrible for internet traffic. Before 8 am and after 10 pm seem to be fastest and easiest to use... At least that has been my recent experience here in Davao...

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

insite
Posted
Posted

I will second that - we have exactly the same in Matina

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Here in Iloilo I use Globe - 10mbps unlimited.  Due to a bit of luck we are connected to a faster connection port in the box so we're getting about 25mbps download but only 4 mbps upload.  I haven't really noticed any dip in speed since lockdown but we continue to have slower speed from about 4pm for a couple of hours or so.  

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

My speeds today (PLDT 25 meg Home Fiber plan)... about 3 miles out of town, near Dagupan, North Luzon:

Screenshot_2020-06-05 Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic