Shipping Gear to the Philippines

Brown
Posted
Posted

Are there any good and cheap shipping/moving companies from Europe/Hungary to the Philippines? I have about a room full of goods. Or is it better to sell my stuff and buy again in the Philippines?

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sent much of my 'stuff' over in the largest size 'Balikbayan' boxes. A lot of the 'stuff' you may already own may not be available here, or more often than not is of junk quality. There is no weight limit on the boxes...just size.

I considered the cost to be very reasonable, considering the value and usefulness of the items I was able to send here, and nothing was lost or damaged in transit.

Worth investigating local Balikbayan shippers in your area/country.

(All were listed as 'second hand household goods' of course. :wink:)

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2

Brown
Posted
Posted

So is it like regular boxes? Do you have a link to the company you used? I could not find anything in Hungarian regarding this. Is it via air or sea?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Brown said:

So is it like regular boxes? Do you have a link to the company you used? I could not find anything in Hungarian regarding this. Is it via air or sea?

They are a special size designed to be consolidated and shipped via cargo container.  Google Hungary balikbayan box.  Put quote mark around Hungary to limit the search results. 

Brown
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike J said:

They are a special size designed to be consolidated and shipped via cargo container.  Google Hungary balikbayan box.  Put quote mark around Hungary to limit the search results. 

I see but I could not find any Hungarian companies doing balikbayan box shipping.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Brown said:

I see but I could not find any Hungarian companies doing balikbayan box shipping.

I dont think there are, Germany, Netherlands ETC yes. Perhaps look for cargo forwarding companies but unless you have certain things you really want I personally wouldn't want to ship a whole room full of stuff. Better to buy new.

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Brown said:

One other thing to try, is look for any oriental food store. Most have shipping to asia . If not they may know who does. And if you are really lucky and find a Pinoy food store, I'm sure they would know! Also try LBC freight, and ask to see if they would ship Balikbayan! Good luck! :shades:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Brown said:

Contact the Philippine embassy in Hungary if they have one there.  If the employees are Filipino they will be able to offer you advice. 

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Seems there are Filipino OFWs throughout Eastern Europe now, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of Balikbayan forwarding system...even if they first pass on to a neighbouring country. 

• Like 1

Brown
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont think there are, Germany, Netherlands ETC yes. Perhaps look for cargo forwarding companies but unless you have certain things you really want I personally wouldn't want to ship a whole room full of stuff. Better to buy new.

Yeah, actually that's what I want to find out... if it's worth shipping or better to sell and buy again. The main thing I wouldn't want to buy again are my home studio gear: electric guitar, studio monitor, computer monitor, midi keyboard, and perhaps some important items like water filter. I checked couriers are very expensive. I think I could pack it up in 4-5 larger boxes.

• Like 2