covid numbers? the logic behind them?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

This is a sincere attempt to see if I can get a rational answer, not meant to be political or confrontational.

On ALL major networks they list the number of infections, deaths and recoveries. 

example

20,000 infected

2000 deaths

4000 recoveries

So my question is, what happened to the other 14,000 folks? Are they hospitalized? Under quarantine? Or did they have a slight case, or more likely stayed home for 2 weeks, got better and went about life? If that is the case should they not be considered recovered? 

But i have not heard anyone on authority explain it. Has anyone? Just seems weird that the number of infected keeps going up but recovered only goes up slowly. :89:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, scott h said:

This is a sincere attempt to see if I can get a rational answer, not meant to be political or confrontational.

On ALL major networks they list the number of infections, deaths and recoveries. 

example

20,000 infected

2000 deaths

4000 recoveries

So my question is, what happened to the other 14,000 folks? Are they hospitalized? Under quarantine? Or did they have a slight case, or more likely stayed home for 2 weeks, got better and went about life? If that is the case should they not be considered recovered? 

But i have not heard anyone on authority explain it. Has anyone? Just seems weird that the number of infected keeps going up but recovered only goes up slowly. :89:

I'm not sure which networks you are talking about but most will show you numbers that fit their narrative.

On Worldmeters, the numbers add up because they show "Active" cases, which is probably the 14,000 in your above example.

Screenshot (164).png

In the U.S., the mainstream media preaches that the sky is falling, but the overall U.S. trends look good.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm not sure which networks

CNN, BBCc, CNN philippines, cna, Bloomberg and TRT.

Is world meters a news outlet? Or an online news source? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

CNN, BBCc, CNN philippines, cna, Bloomberg and TRT.

Is world meters a news outlet? Or an online news source? 

Data gathering, popular for Covid.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

<SNIP<

So my question is, what happened to the other 14,000 folks?

You're over thinking it, the folks that aren't recovered or dead when those 2 part numbers are used are still 'infected with the virus and sick".

(later on they will be added to either the recovered total or the dead total).

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It seems that there are many who recover quickly but the ones who go to hospital can be there a long time.  It would be nice if a person had the peace of mind of knowing they could get medical treatment if they got unlucky enough to catch covid, but the hospitals in some places are already full and those patients are either going to the morgue or staying in for a long time.

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/regional/2020/6/23/Chong-Hua-Hospital-full-capacity-.html

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Some stay ill for a long time, people died 2 months or so after getting infected on that Diamond Princess cruise ship.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, scott h said:

example

20,000 infected

2000 deaths

4000 recoveries

When Iloilo posts numbers they generally say how many are hospitalized, or in what type of quarantine/facility.   It would be interesting to see who is where - but not really important... as long as they are in some form of quarantine until they test clear.  

The best racking site I have seen is from a high school kid in Seattle.  https://ncov2019.live/  

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

For me the numbers I follow are the number currently hospitalized and the number of deaths recently in my local community and state. It doesn't matter to me, except for considerations of herd immunity, how many people have tested positive for the virus since the beginning. Locally the number of people testing positive and the number of active cases are at all time highs yet the number of people currently hospitalized or rate of death hasn't really increased.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

No one is accurately tracking "recovered".  Many "recovered" are people who needed to be tested for various reasons (i.e., job, travel, etc.), often several times, and were tracked as such.

"Infected" is the number of positive tests... which is not even close to the number truly infected but never bother to get tested.

"Deaths" is even questionable for accuracy since in many places having COVID and dying results in counting as death from COVID even if not the primary cause. Some may argue there are deaths from COVID not being accurately categorized as such.  Fair enough, in the same vein...how many "flu" related deaths are categorized as pneumonia, which skew the flu numbers down, if one is "counting".

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic