covid numbers? the logic behind them?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, earthdome said:

For me the numbers I follow are the number currently hospitalized and the number of deaths recently in my local community and state. It doesn't matter to me, except for considerations of herd immunity, how many people have tested positive for the virus since the beginning. Locally the number of people testing positive and the number of active cases are at all time highs yet the number of people currently hospitalized or rate of death hasn't really increased.

The hospitalized count is one I wish would be available at all the levels.  On Worldmeters, they have a count of "serious/critical" which might be the same, but they don't have a graph of it.

In the U.S., I know they are saying the average age has gone down and I expect that is due to the increased testing and perhaps younger people are ignoring precautions.  However, I would assume a higher % of younger people with covid are not hospitalized.  The daily deaths chart for the U.S. still trends down.  It is strange how the Sat/Sun deaths are low and then Monday has a big spike, then it goes down the rest of the week.  It must be the way the date is recorded.

Screenshot (167).png

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Agree... need # hospitalized, with age, and any underlying conditions... that at least gives a better picture of potential risk... and associated actions to be taken.  The press is treating this in the US like they did during the Viet Nam War when they did daily body counts (on both sides)... unfortunately numbers sell.... accurate or not.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The hospitalized count is one I wish would be available at all the levels.  On Worldmeters, they have a count of "serious/critical" which might be the same, but they don't have a graph of it.

In the U.S., I know they are saying the average age has gone down and I expect that is due to the increased testing and perhaps younger people are ignoring precautions.  However, I would assume a higher % of younger people with covid are not hospitalized.  The daily deaths chart for the U.S. still trends down.  It is strange how the Sat/Sun deaths are low and then Monday has a big spike, then it goes down the rest of the week.  It must be the way the date is recorded.

Screenshot (167).png

Unfortunately the daily death trend has started to flatten (more noticeable if you use the seven day average) and may begin to rise.  As new cases increase the deaths are expected to lag by two to three weeks.  I guess we will soon know if that is correct.

New Cases.jpg

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic