Homemade Firearms

Jake
Posted
Posted

This is an off shoot from OMW's topic about the neighborhood knife sharpener.  As you guys may know, there a cottage industry in Danao, Cebu that makes the lucrative "Paltik".  The workers there possess excellent craftsmanship producing any weapon of your choice.  All from scrap metal.  

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Viking said:

Impresseing to see what they can do with very simple tools!

But I am not so sure that I would like to use one of these guns myself, when hearing that they were made out of scrap metal! For some parts in a gun it is very important that the right kind of metal is used or the gun can blow up in your hand, not a nice experience!!

Excellent point Viking.  How they managed to find the right metal, especial for the barrel and bolt is amazing.  I googled the chamber pressure of a 22LR for example and it was several thousand PSI exploding down the barrel.  Yeah, I agree....these "paltik" guns may not be reliable or safe after a few rounds.  

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

And for the high tech solution

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Viking said:

But I am not so sure that I would like to use one of these guns myself, when hearing that they were made out of scrap metal! For some parts in a gun it is very important that the right kind of metal is used or the gun can blow up in your hand, not a nice experience!!

That's an excellent reason to have the worker who made it do at least the first test firings?

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Guns eh!

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jake said:

Excellent point Viking.  How they managed to find the right metal, especial for the barrel and bolt is amazing.  I googled the chamber pressure of a 22LR for example and it was several thousand PSI exploding down the barrel.  Yeah, I agree....these "paltik" guns may not be reliable or safe after a few rounds.  

That´s my consern, I don´t think they found the right metal. They are just using what they have and hope for the best. It may work for some time but there is no way to tell when it will fail.

A typical 22 LR has a pressure of around 8000 psi,  a 45 ACP 21000 psi and a 9mm 35000 psi, so there is a big difference between different cartridges.

A guess these guns are not bought by a "targetshooter", more likely by a hitman who will use it only a few times and maybe they don´t care much about how long it will last?

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

That's an excellent reason to have the worker who made it do at least the first test firings?

As we all know, safety is not first priority in the Philippines :whistling:

It would be really easy to put the gun in a vice and then pull the trigger with a string from a distance, but they don´t care.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

A guess these guns are not bought by a "targetshooter", more likely by a hitman who will use it only a few times and maybe they don´t care much about how long it will last?

That's a head shot bulls eye Viking.  Cops moonlighting as hitman use these untraceable weapons.  

• Sad 2