Transporting Pet Dog

intrepid
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, MikeB said:

Not allowed and the cage has to fit under the seat and be big enough so it can move around some. Put him/her in cargo in a large cage. From memory Korean charged $200 to transport the dog from phils to US. American was going to charge an additional $125 to let us carry her on the domestic but the DFW ticket agent got the supervisor to waive that since we had already paid Korean. I'm sure it's more expensive now. I checked into a couple of the companies that transport pets for a fee but it was too expensive and less hassle to do it ourselves. Good that you're taking your pet with you! 

We have tried to contact two of the IPATA in Manila.  One phone number reassigned and no answer at the other.  Will keep trying to see the costs.  For now I take the little queen to the vet for a good checkup and see if the vet recommends if she feels she would be safe to travel in cargo.  After that I will consider the options.  Thanks to all for the ideas.:tiphat:

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I received my first quote from an IPATA associate company.  I attached portions of the email and quote below.  My reason for getting a quote from IPATA was because I read they would know how to handle more safely pet moves.  Our dog being a snub nose dog should require a flight within a pressurized cabin and not in a regular freight  baggage area.  From what I see in the quote the flight would taker her through KL, Kuala Lumpur which is no big deal.  However, I cannot tell if she will be within a pressured area or regular freight/luggage area.  I requested more details and awaiting for that. 

WOW, they are fast responding, just received  this;

Dear Danny,

Sorry, KL is airline code for KLM, so it’s via Amsterdam.Quote assumes she flights as manifested cargo - All pets as live animal cargo, are in the cargo hold of the plane. We use only commercial airlines with excellent reputations in live animal care.  All of the planes have pressurized, heated and air conditioned cargo holds with a designated area exclusively for live animals.  Your pet will breathe the same air you breathe when you fly in the cabin.Thanks, Faye

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 8.51.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 8.52.46 PM.png

graham59
Posted
Posted

Surely all cargo holds are pressurised anyway (and heated)...regardless of whether live animals are being carried ? :89:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Surely all cargo holds are pressurised anyway (and heated)...regardless of whether live animals are being carried ? :89:

I wouldn't think heated at the same temp as the rest of the plane.

Added, some info. 

Cargo temperatures vary in our fleet. The Boeing 767 maintains its baggage hold above 7˚C, but the bulk area (where animals are carried) can be heated above 18˚C.

“Controlled temperature cargo bins are also available when temperature-sensitive goods are being shipped.”

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

OP - I believe it cost maybe $250-$300 total in 2016 to get our dog to our destination and that includes the cage we bought at SM, the vet paperwork and the export permit. The "Export Processing Permit" they are charging $100 was less than P1000. I don't remember the exact amount but it wasn't more. Granted that was 4 years ago. You can easily find out that by calling the Bureau of Animal Control at the airport. You can definitely get an airline-approved cage for a lot less than $140. 

The cargo area where the pets fly is climate-controlled. At the time Korean had an excellent reputation for handling pets based on many reviews I read. We supplied water and food with the cage and they gave them to the dog. Our options were limited because we flew out of Cebu and Korean was the main one going to the US at that time. 

Bottom line, you can save a lot by doing this yourself but you have to do your homework. Do some googling and get some more recent experiences if you can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, MikeB said:

OP - I believe it cost maybe $250-$300 total in 2016 to get our dog to our destination and that includes the cage we bought at SM, the vet paperwork and the export permit. The "Export Processing Permit" they are charging $100 was less than P1000. I don't remember the exact amount but it wasn't more. Granted that was 4 years ago. You can easily find out that by calling the Bureau of Animal Control at the airport. You can definitely get an airline-approved cage for a lot less than $140. 

The cargo area where the pets fly is climate-controlled. At the time Korean had an excellent reputation for handling pets based on many reviews I read. We supplied water and food with the cage and they gave them to the dog. Our options were limited because we flew out of Cebu and Korean was the main one going to the US at that time. 

Bottom line, you can save a lot by doing this yourself but you have to do your homework. Do some googling and get some more recent experiences if you can.

Thanks Mike.  The more I am reading and research, the more understanding.  I'm a little slow at digesting all the information sometimes.  Like many others I so many things going on at once I just wish I could retire and do nothing.:56da632e94212_1(60):  Anyway, now with all this information in hand, I'm thinking of taking your route and doing things myself.  I'll start by calling some more airlines to see what their policies are regarding live pets.  Another good reason to start researching early.  Thanks all.:tiphat:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Here is the procedure I wrote up in 2016 that covers a lot of what you need. The 2 links are still good. The Philippines is considered "high risk" for both rabies and screwworm so you need to have the shot record for rabies and a statement from your vet that the dog is free of screwworm "within 5 days of entering the US". That last bit proved to be a pain, I think we had the vet pre-date the letter. I'm not sure they even enforce the screwworm requirement but I would have it.

Take proof of current rabies inoculation and a statement from your vet that certifies the animal has been inspected and verified free of screwworm (within 5 days of departure) to the Bureau Of Animal Industry and they will issue an Export Permit which gets the dog on the plane. The airline might also require a statement from the vet that the animal has been inspected and found to be in good general health. These documents should also get it through US Customs (according to the CDC website). There are no microchip or Titer blood test requirements for the US (as there are for many EU countries) and no quarantine provided you have the docs and the animal appears healthy.
http://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/index.html
http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/unitedstates.cfm

• Thanks 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Here is the procedure I wrote up in 2016 that covers a lot of what you need. The 2 links are still good. The Philippines is considered "high risk" for both rabies and screwworm so you need to have the shot record for rabies and a statement from your vet that the dog is free of screwworm "within 5 days of entering the US". That last bit proved to be a pain, I think we had the vet pre-date the letter. I'm not sure they even enforce the screwworm requirement but I would have it.

Take proof of current rabies inoculation and a statement from your vet that certifies the animal has been inspected and verified free of screwworm (within 5 days of departure) to the Bureau Of Animal Industry and they will issue an Export Permit which gets the dog on the plane. The airline might also require a statement from the vet that the animal has been inspected and found to be in good general health. These documents should also get it through US Customs (according to the CDC website). There are no microchip or Titer blood test requirements for the US (as there are for many EU countries) and no quarantine provided you have the docs and the animal appears healthy.
http://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/index.html
http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/unitedstates.cfm

Thanks so much Mike.  This seems clear and simple to follow.  We have a good Vet which is close by and will be seeing her soon.  I will ask if she will provide all the necessary letters and forms and maybe get them in advance when the time comes.  For now I need to see which airlines will be transporting live animals and our breed.  Also Want to get her a cage soon so she can start getting used to it slowly.  She is so used to having free run of the house, yard, and our bed whenever she wants.  Spoiled little thing I know but she gives so much love we don't mind at all.  Thanks again.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, intrepid said:

We have a good Vet which is close by and will be seeing her soon

The vet certificate of health must have a USDA endorsement.  Not all vets can accomplish this certification.   We brought our two dogs over six years ago.  Do to time restraints, selling our house, etc, we have a pet travel agency handle everything to include meeting us at the airport with the dogs.  Our travel was Seattle > Japan > Manila.  Rest two days then on to Cebu City also via air.   It was a challenge to find hotels in Manila that would accept dogs, may be better now.  

A suggestion.  Prior to the flight wear the same t-shirt to bed for several nights so it really picks up your body odor.   Put that t-shirt in the crate with your dog, it will help keep them calm while being transported.  Also be sure to include a "pee pad" in the bottom of the crate. :thumbsup:

MikeB
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The vet certificate of health must have a USDA endorsement.  Not all vets can accomplish this certification.   We brought our two dogs over six years ago.  Do to time restraints, selling our house, etc, we have a pet travel agency handle everything to include meeting us at the airport with the dogs.  Our travel was Seattle > Japan > Manila.  Rest two days then on to Cebu City also via air.   It was a challenge to find hotels in Manila that would accept dogs, may be better now.  

OP is going the other way, from phils to us. Whole different scenario.

• Like 2