Window options

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Some of our windows were just delivered to the new home. They have thick glass and are either casement (open like doors) or awning style. We ordered some awning types in places where we should get some cross ventilation and expect to leave open much of the time. Even in moderate rain, we plan to keep them open when not air-conning. We wanted some jalousy types but were told they were not available. 

I will let you know how they all work out. The glass suppliers here in Davao offer at least two or three quality models with corresponding prices. The premium type were way out of our budget and the lowest quality were "Filipino standard," thin aluminum stock, thinner glass, fairly easy for a thief to jimmy out for access. So we settled for medium quality and price. Still, they were not cheap. Double pane could be had, but are super expensive and never knew about that "security film."

The two sliding doors are the premium type as we wanted that extra security, but the prices made me gulp - similar or even pricier than USA prices.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

fairly easy for a thief to jimmy out for access.

:huh-huh: jimmy.

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Viking said:

Can you tell me more about the other reasons? I am curious to learn.

Security can be fixed with safetybars and noise is not a big consern at our location. 

Thnx in advance

For me, they are prone to leaking and don't provide much noise protection -they also let out cold air and in warm air too much in my opinion.  I also think they are prone to maintenance issues as much of the parts are thin metal and rust easily.

On the plus side, they are cheap. 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, hk blues said:

For me, they are prone to leaking and don't provide much noise protection -they also let out cold air and in warm air too much in my opinion.  I also think they are prone to maintenance issues as much of the parts are thin metal and rust easily.

Wife tells me an intruder can easily take the glass slits out from the outside, then climb in through the window.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

Wife tells me an intruder can easily take the glass slits out from the outside, then climb in through the window.

She's right Jim - they are held in place simply with a slotted bar at either side - the ends of the slots can be bent upwards/downwards to insert and remove the glass strips.  This type of window is the only one we have with bars for that very reason. 

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

We have windows that swing inside.  Mahogany that has been treated to prevent termites.  I built matching screens to keep out the critters.  The glass in the windows is 6 mm thick so quite strong.  They look nice and provide lots of ventilation (48 x 48 inch square).  No security grills but we do have outside watch dogs.  

Window pic.jpg

I like that type of windows too, but if we choose that type, ours will open outwards. In Sweden we often have a kind of shelf at the bottom of the window, to put plants, lamps or other decoration on, and it will be a hassle to move all of that every time the windows will be opened. Outward opened windows will also make it possible to put the security bars (if necessary) on the inside and easy to open if needed.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Thanks, thats the kind of info I was looking for. :tiphat:

Viking
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, jimeve said:

Thats true, but it can easily be avoided with security bars.

• Like 1

carbpow
Posted
Posted

This 8 mil film is available here. I think they have different thicknesses. You can check online for the cost. If memory serves me correctly it was more expensive than getting the stuff sent in a balikbayan box from the USA. BUT, I was in the USA at the time so packing a box wasn't a big deal. The important thing to remember is put it on before the glass is installed in the frame or else the uncovered glass within the frame will break as if nothing was applied. My wife and I installed it on the glass for all our windows in about 2 days. We let it cure in the sun for 2 more days and then gave it to the window guys for final installation. They were very impressed and laughed when they told us they accidentally dropped a pane and said it bounced.

• Like 4

carbpow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

We tried to be as energy efficient as possible in selecting materials for our house so we never considered jalousie windows. The leak air terribly. However, if you do not intend to use AC they do allow for good airflow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1