Window options

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, carbpow said:

However, if you do not intend to use AC they do allow for good airflow.

Exactly - this is why we installed a jalousie in out dirty kitchen - we wanted something that can be left open always and installed bars to mitigate the security risk.  No A/C in that room anyway.  

• Like 2

carbpow
Posted
Posted
On 7/21/2020 at 3:18 PM, hk blues said:

Exactly - this is why we installed a jalousie in out dirty kitchen - we wanted something that can be left open always and installed bars to mitigate the security risk.  No A/C in that room anyway.  

In a previous place I just put in old style colonial wooden shutters in the dirty kitchen. You could open them wide and let air in or smoke out depending on who was doing the cooking, then close and lock at night.

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, carbpow said:

In a previous place I just put in old style colonial wooden shutters in the dirty kitchen. You could open them wide and let air in or smoke out depending on who was doing the cooking, then close and lock at night.

As HK Blues stated re jalousie windows, they're cheap, insecure and problem prone. They let in light and air and need metal security grids on the outside and are best used in non A/C areas like CRs and cooking areas.  That's where we have the 4 of ours. Eventually, many of the hinge pivots start corroding and sticking and then break off. I think years ago in rentals I would try to lube them a bit, but oil doesn't help for very long, and who wants to mess with grease. If they stick and you force them a lot.... they eventually snap and break in places, so you have to continually use care. One way around this is to have a small outside window roof overhang so when it rains you don't have to close them all the way and just leave them partially open most of the time. But then small creatures can freely come in, unless screened. ( e.g. tokay lizards, vertical wall climbing rats, banana spiders, etc.)

My wife has built a very unconventional house for us over the last 8 years. No glass windows. Security rebar grids only outside the 3 jalousies on the first floor, which is elevated 3 or 4 feet above ground level. The sala has protective overhangs over the window openings and she used bamboo lattice and rigid plastic screening. Inside she put roll down native fine woven storm drops for the rare wind driven rain episodes. A few years ago she built a 10 wall outside, so that no longer occurs on the S. and the other sides are sheltered with porch and outside kitchen roofs.

When she had the upper story removed and upgraded, she put in large window openings with inward swinging shutters. Once open, the wind and air enters through heavy duty synthetic screening. The outside wrap around porch roofs keep out the rain. Inside lock latches provide night time security.

All of this works quite well since we don't have to seal up the house with A/C in mind. There's no heat build up since the house is porous  for airflow.... but bugs, rain, potential intruders etc. are kept at bay.

We did have to wipe down the walls after typhoon Ursula's eye passed over on Christmas Day, but everything dried out quickly with little damage.  Did have to hole up in the lower CR at the time since it was the only room encased in concrete and steel rebar on all 6 sides.

I've had to rethink the many purposes of windows since coming from the arctic to the tropics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/20/2020 at 8:52 PM, carbpow said:

This 8 mil film is available here. I think they have different thicknesses. You can check online for the cost. If memory serves me correctly it was more expensive than getting the stuff sent in a balikbayan box from the USA. BUT, I was in the USA at the time so packing a box wasn't a big deal. The important thing to remember is put it on before the glass is installed in the frame or else the uncovered glass within the frame will break as if nothing was applied. My wife and I installed it on the glass for all our windows in about 2 days. We let it cure in the sun for 2 more days and then gave it to the window guys for final installation. They were very impressed and laughed when they told us they accidentally dropped a pane and said it bounced.

Wow, that film seems to be a lot better than the others I have seen on You Tube.  Usually those crack on first blow but the film holds it together.  This takes a while before you can crack it.

• Like 2

carbpow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Wow, that film seems to be a lot better than the others I have seen on You Tube.  Usually those crack on first blow but the film holds it together.  This takes a while before you can crack it.

Yes but that 8 mil film is not easy to put on, the 6 mil works well enough thus far. I just wanted to keep a coconut from coming thru the glass in the event of typhoon. I made the mistake of not picking my coconuts [green cannon balls] in Florida before a moderate hurricane once. Glass shrapnel is disconcerting.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, carbpow said:

Yes but that 8 mil film is not easy to put on, the 6 mil works well enough thus far. I just wanted to keep a coconut from coming thru the glass in the event of typhoon. I made the mistake of not picking my coconuts [green cannon balls] in Florida before a moderate hurricane once. Glass shrapnel is disconcerting.

Where was your house in Florida?  I just sold mine in Pembroke Pines.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I often wonder how topics stray so far off course :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I often wonder how topics stray so far off course

Even after all this time? :hystery:

• Like 1

carbpow
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Jensen Beach, Martin County.

• Like 1