Storing bread or the like in high humidity?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

RBM brought up a good question. How do you store cake bread or crackers in the high humidity? Tupper ware or?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We keep load bread in the ref and bakery breads are always eaten within two days so we do not have a problem.  If it did get mold I would just feed it to the dogs and they would think it was a feast. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We just keep ours in a cabinet in the kitchen, inside the plastic wrapper it comes with - we don't have a mould problem but I doubt the bread is there for more than 3 days anyway.  

The good old-fashioned bread bins may work but I'm not sure they're designed for humid climates.

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted

We freeze our breads and cakes. Stops the staling process and there is zero wastage. 

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I noticed when we stored bread in a Tupperware container it would go moldy. So now we just leave the bread in the wrapper that it comes with it. kept on top of the water dispenser away from nasties.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I buy sourdough bread every week from Salcedo market in Makati. I asked the baker how best to keep it. Never in the ref he says. Keep it in a brown paper bag in a dark place. And so thats we do and it works great. Usually finish the bread after about 5 days and its always good to the last day with this method. I thibnk this method is also shown on the lockdown go to site for all required information...... you tube

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Freebie said:

I buy sourdough bread every week from Salcedo market in Makati. I asked the baker how best to keep it. Never in the ref he says.

The ref is fine, the freezer is better, but best is freezing, defrosting then toasting:    https://www.nature.com/articles/1602746

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Excess sliced bread goes in the freezer, for future toast...straight from frozen, incidentally. 

All other biscuits, bread (hamburger buns) , etc, in proper airtight plastic boxes. 

The biscuits... fine for a week or a few.  Bread buns, certainly okay for a few days. 

(There is no aircon in our shack ). 

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've noticed over here the best by date can be ignored as you never know how it's been stored before it lands on the shelves. 

I've had bread lasting and looking fine a few days after the recommended best by date and others going off before that date.  The latest being two weeks ago.

I bought bread with a four day lifespan and two days later I fancied some French toast just as night was falling. I quickly knocked up two pieces and an hour or two later I was on the CR. I've usually got a cast iron stomach and thought maybe it was dodgy eggs. Got up in the morning and my neighbourhood monkey was outside the window. I had no bananas so thought I'd give in some of my Gardenia bread. I pulled the first slice out in daylight and it was covered in mould.  Looking at the rest of the bag it looked like it had been left out for weeks. 

• Like 1