Fermented vegetables

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

Every couple of months my friend in the UK sends me and another member a BB box. This time I asked him to do some fermented swede and parsnip. If it fails then it is only a few pennies. I have not had Parsnip or swede for 9 years and am looking forward to it.

I have now decided to try to do some of the local veg like broccoli and cauliflower. Does anybody else ferment vegetables, do you have any tips.

Edited by sonjack2847
spelling
  • Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have not had Parsnip or swede for 9 years and am looking forward to it.

Where were you when I was a kid, mum used to put them in stews and curries and we had to eat the bloody things, YUK YUK and bloody YUK. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

Every couple of months my friend in the UK sends me and another member a BB box. This time I asked him to do some fermented swede and parsnip. If it fails then it is only a few pennies. I have not had Parsnip or swede for 9 years and am looking forward to it.

I have now decided to try to do some of the local veg like broccoli and cauliflower. Does anybody else ferment vegetables, do you have any tips.

I'm going to have a bash at making kimchi. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Kevin, is fermented swede Sauerkraut? Love me some Sauerkraut and grilled brats! 

• Love it 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 7/27/2020 at 10:07 AM, Old55 said:

Kevin, is fermented swede Sauerkraut? Love me some Sauerkraut and grilled brats! 

No Swede looks a turnip mate.

• Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 7/27/2020 at 9:57 AM, jimeve said:

I'm going to have a bash at making kimchi. 

Let me know how it goes Jim.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 7/27/2020 at 9:54 AM, Clermont said:

Where were you when I was a kid, mum used to put them in stews and curries and we had to eat the bloody things, YUK YUK and bloody YUK. :thumbsup:

I like mashed Swede with a little butter and roasted parsnips with my roast dinner. Of course I have mint sauce also. Yeh i would have eaten you share of the veg mate.

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 7/26/2020 at 7:07 PM, Old55 said:

is fermented swede Sauerkraut?

Nah.  That's fermented cabbage.  Swede is called rutabaga in the USA I think.  I love it cooked like mashed potatos but I have never tried it fermented.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Nah.  That's fermented cabbage.  Swede is called rutabaga in the USA I think.  I love it cooked like mashed potatos but I have never tried it fermented.

Ahhh Rutabaga, yea it's good mashed or in a slow cooker with brisket or pot roast.

Dave, wouldn't fermented swede actually be compost? But we don't judge.:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

To answer you and Old55. It is called fermented but it actually is salt water. Haha not like beer. I have had some sprouts from Germany done the same way and it makes the taste stronger in fact so much so that instead of the 8 or 10 I used to eat in the UK I only need 3 or 4 here.

• Thanks 2