Fermented vegetables

insite
Posted
Posted

I have fermented cabbage and pechay very successfully

Great probiotic for gut and digestive health.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2020 at 7:56 AM, sonjack2847 said:

Let me know how it goes Jim.

Well, I made some and Evelyn made some also. Evelyn went a bit crazy with the chilli powder. Mine was good, still hot but not as hot as eve's.  Overall the taste is good but on the hot side.

Won't put chills in next time or not as much, I only put 1 teaspoonful in. Some you-tube vids on how to make it.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
Balisidar
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2020 at 9:33 PM, insite said:

I have fermented cabbage and pechay very successfully

Great probiotic for gut and digestive health.

Since I have arrived here I've made several versions of Kimchee.  Also made fermented hot sauce which turned out delicious.  As encouraged in the instructions feel free to add your own distinct ingredients.  I've added apples, etc for a sweeter and unique taste as well as ginger.

https://www.feastingathome.com/fermented-hot-sauce-simple-and-delicious/

Ingredients

Salt Water Brine:

• 5 cups filtered water, lukewarm (see notes)
  • 6 1/4  teaspoons finely ground sea salt (or Pink Himalayan salt) – use 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, per 1 cup of water.

Jar Fillings:

• 1 pound chili peppers, sliced in half ( about 67 cups) see notes ( do not use frozen)
  • 1 carrot, very thinly sliced (do not peel)
  • 46 garlic cloves, cut in quarters
  • 12 shallots, sliced (or ½ an onion)
  • optional: herbs (oregano, cilantro, celery leaves)

After fermenting, add optional seasonings to taste. Keep in mind the “heat” will mellow with age.

• 13 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, (optional- for extra tang and for more healthy probiotics)
  • honey sugar to taste (optional, good if making Sriracha style)
  • If your hot sauce is not hot enough, you can always add cayenne or ground chipotle to taste. Free free to add spices- cumin, coriander, allspice, etc. Make this your own.

Instructions

Heat the water and stir the sea salt into the warm water until dissolved. Let cool to room temp.

Wearing gloves, slice the small hot peppers in half, and remove stems and seeds if you like (for less heat). I left the seeds in mine. If adding bell peppers to temper the heat, cut into thin strips. Thinly slice the carrot (do not peel), slice the shallots and slice the garlic.

Layer all into a 2 quart jar.  Pour the salt water brine into the jar over the chilies, pressing them down under the liquid. If you need to add more brine, remember to use the ratio of 1 teaspoon salt per 1 cup of water.

Weight the chilies down with canning weights (or use a small ziplock bag filled with water, to weigh the veggies down). You want the veggies completely submerged under the brine. Cover lightly with a lid and place the jar in a pan or bowl to collect any liquid that may spill over.

Place in a cool dark place (or cover with a kitchen towel and leave in a cool kitchen) for 5-7 days or until brine appears slightly cloudy. Tap the container and see if there is any activity, bubbles, or effervescence.

You will know it is fermenting by the cloudy brine ( see notes)  and little bubbling and activity. You can always ferment longer for even more flavor! The longer the ferment, typically the tangier this will become.

After 5-7 days, strain the brine, saving it. Place the fermented peppers, onions, garlic and carrot into a blender. Add 1 cup of the brine and blend until smooth as smooth as possible. Add the vinegar if using, (and sugar if you prefer a sweeter hot sauce like Sriracha), and more brine to desired thickness.

The heat level will mellow a bit with time, as it continues to ferment in the fridge.

Place in a squeeze bottle and store in the fridge.  Do not place in a sealed jar unrefrigerated– this will result in an explosion– and great big mess- as sauce is still fermenting! BE WARNED!

I have the best luck with using in squeeze bottles and leaving the cap off in the fridge. Cover opening with your finger and shake before using.

If transporting to a friend as a gift, it is ok to seal for short periods of time (a few hours) but make sure they “burp” it and refridgerate it pretty soon after receiving.

The flavors will continue to develop and get more complex over time, the heat mellowing.

This will keep up to 12 months in the fridge (probably even longer).

To use, store in a squeeze bottle. Leave tip open in the fridge. Cover tip with finger and give a good shake before using

Edited by Balisidar
  • Like 3