Any women here?

peterfe
Posted
Posted

Fortunately, S wasn't looking over my shoulder as I wrote the title - it could be misunderstood :bash:

I did a quick search for "female members" and found a few references from about six years ago, but I haven't noticed any female contributors here these days. I suppose there have been one or two filipinas posting here hoping to find a husband, but I mean female expats. You don't see that many in Cebu province compared to male expats - I'd probably see more if I lived near the slums of Manila, as there are no doubt plenty doing voluntary or paid work among the poor. Then, apart from work, there are retired couples from Western countries.

I suppose many female expats who looked at the forum would consider it a kind of "men's club", and of course some would disapprove of older men with younger Filipina wives or girlfriends. I don't know whether the regular posters prefer to keep it as a "men's club" or whether they would like to attract more women, if possible :89:

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

There may well be shared information communication systems that women like to use on-line here, but so far I haven't come across any..... nor have I looked.  Generalized information sharing here, does seem to be male dominated. 

I'm sure that women have just as strong opinions in many matters, but they share it differently. Perhaps they limit it to personal contacts on their e-mail or other phone apps unless they are professional reporters,  govt. reps.  

Perhaps someone should float a women's only PI forum and see if it works. If they allowed men in they might not want to be dealing with trolls, know-it-all males and expose  themselves to so many argumentative idiots. I wouldn't blame them.

As ex-pat husbands and mates, we know they have opinions and knowledge.... but they usually share it in-house and with their lady friends, only.

I don't know many outspoken or public opinion stating women here, except those Filipinas that have lived abroad for some time and picked up the habit from other female cultures. They usually are happy to sit with their husband's male expat friends and join in to some degree, but normally they form  separate female chat groups from what I see, both here and in the USA.

Too bad, since they do have plenty of valuable social and political insights. IMO.

Non-Filipina  female retired expats do not appear to retire here with their husbands like they do in many other low income retirement destinations. I'm sure they have their reasons.  

• Like 3

peterfe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

We are definitely not a "men only" forum.  The reality is that a large majority of expats living in the Philippines are male and that is reflected in the makeup of the posters.  Multiple members here have voiced their appreciation for posts from female members as they often provides a view from "the other side of the fence".  Females are indeed welcome and their input valued. :thumbsup:

Well, that's good to hear. I suspect there are more female expats than most of us notice, but still definitely a small minority. Reasons why they're not here:

1. Many are working and therefore have much less time for this or any other forum than retired male expats.

2. Some will be put off by the fact that there seem to be no other females here.

3. Like it or not, many Western women disapprove of relationships between Western men and much younger Asian girls. 

But yes, it is a pity - they could for example make some interesting contributions to "The Filipina", where our opinions are mostly based on our wives/partners, whereas they, if they were working on a social project in the slums, would base their opinions on Filipina social workers and Filipina aid recipients.  

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I see a lot of female Western input on local Facebook sites where I am that tend to cater more for keeping everyone up todate with the daily changes of rules and regulation here.  I think most have foreign partners and even their partners don't pay much attention to ex pat sites.

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I see a lot of female Western input on local Facebook sites where I am that tend to cater more for keeping everyone up todate with the daily changes of rules and regulation here.  I think most have foreign partners and even their partners don't pay much attention to ex pat sites.

65 Users were Online in the Last 24 Hours
Most members ever online in 24 hour was 69, last accomplished on 21 hours ago.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I don't think it's a reflection on this particular site as much as the fact there are way less female ex-pats here than male.  That said, from time-to-time some of the content wavers into the inappropriate and some females may be offended.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I think most have foreign partners and even their partners don't pay much attention to ex pat sites.

This is true.  The expat sites tend to be older retired guys or sexpats, on those types of sites.  Working expats are too busy to sit around complaining like I do!  :hystery:

2 hours ago, peterfe said:

Well, that's good to hear. I suspect there are more female expats than most of us notice, but still definitely a small minority. Reasons why they're not here:

1. Many are working and therefore have much less time for this or any other forum than retired male expats.

2. Some will be put off by the fact that there seem to be no other females here.

3. Like it or not, many Western women disapprove of relationships between Western men and much younger Asian girls. 

But yes, it is a pity - they could for example make some interesting contributions to "The Filipina", where our opinions are mostly based on our wives/partners, whereas they, if they were working on a social project in the slums, would base their opinions on Filipina social workers and Filipina aid recipients.  

We have a lot of female expats in our area.  I casually know a few of them from our neighborhood FB groups or from school or from the market.  They are very active in the neighborhood FB group and in the community, but forums like this are not a good fit for most.  Many are married to expats working contracts here.  A few have their own business.  My 4 year old daughter's boyfriend is S. African and we have a lot of S. Africans in the area because they are working on a new power plant in Bataan.  We know a Brazilian lady married to a Filipino guy.  We have quite a few Filipina / Americans around too.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, manofthecoldland said:

Most members ever online in 24 hour was 69, last accomplished on 21 hours ago.

Don't believe that. It never has a proper record and only shows 24 hour period and not like it used to where it used to work on most ever online period.

Anyway really nothing to do with female members or lack of.

2 hours ago, peterfe said:

Like it or not, many Western women disapprove of relationships between Western men and much younger Asian girls. 

I doubt many would be living here with that view. For them to be living here they would have to know how it is and accept it otherwise they would drive themselves insane. 

• Like 1