Women 50+ here and in the West

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, peterfe said:

But I'm sure she would be far happier in an English-speaking country in a town with a number of other Filipinas and Asian food shops.

It surprised me to learn that even Bendigo (which is a regional small city of 100,000 people in Victoria, Australia about 2 hours from Melbourne) has an active Filipino community that holds regular events including a yearly 'fiesta' and an entry in the yearly Easter Parade (and we've got a couple of Asian food/grocery shops as well).

My cousin's wife is Filipino and introduced me at the fiesta when she found out that I had a Filipina fiancee.  Not that I plan to bring SWMBO there to live but a holiday visit will probably happen at some point (maybe around Bendigo Filipino Fiesta time) :)

shabbynomad70
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, peterfe said:

First, welcome to the forum! How boring (or not) it is for the Filipina who moves to a Western country will depend on many things, but at least the wives of most of the members here don't have a serious language problem. S knows someone who married a Pole and went to live somewhere in Poland. The girl posts smiling pictures on Facebook of herself in the snow, or in front of some historic building or whatever, so everything looks "just fine". I say to S, "What if she lives in a town where there are no other Filipinas?" "Polish is a very difficult language", etc. and S says, "She has a job, so she can send her own money back to her family".

So there we have it. Maybe the girl really is very happy, maybe she's very sad and bored, or something in between. But I'm sure she would be far happier in an English-speaking country in a town with a number of other Filipinas and Asian food shops.

well, one of the things i have read is that first generation immigrants are never really at home or fully accepted, but their children are both.

my wife did not want to associate with the filipino community our our million plus population greater metro area because she did not want the politics that goes with that.  in short i guess she did not trust them to not interfer..  she was very sucessful in banking area without any experience before she arrived to live with me so her ability to adapt to our culture on that basis was very good,  typical of other filipinos i had known and or hired.

thanks very much for the welcome to the forum.  so far so good