IP ADDRESS

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Shady said:

Also a downside is that it is a brokerage account, which means

1) No FDIC coverage

Schwab Int'l has plenty of coverage, starting with SIPC.  Cash is insured up to $250 k, securities even more.

https://international.schwab.com/account-protection

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Schwab Int'l has plenty of coverage, starting with SIPC.  Cash is insured up to $250 k, securities even more.

https://international.schwab.com/account-protection

Good to know.

1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Wire transfer or check. 

Wasn't aware the brokerage account has checks.

I'm curious if this account and its required Form W-8BEN has an effect on excluding foreign earned income.

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
On 8/13/2020 at 5:54 PM, Yeochief said:

Follow up on my TSP account.  I called TSP via SKYPE, TSP did lock (security reasons) my account and the young lady unlocked it for me.  I'm good to go with them.  Thanks again for all of your help.  

Very pertinent topic for me also Yeochief since I'll be needing to access TSP from the Philippines soon also.  Did you still need to access the site through a VPN?  Did you have them set up 2step verification to use an email address or what?

Thanks😀

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Balisidar said:

TSP from the Philippines

I was locked out due to security reasons.  I think that is because I got a new lap top and had not connected with my new lap top, old lap top is headed this way in one of the boxes we shipped.  I ended up calling TSP (used Skype phone) and the young lady unlocked my account and it works with no problems. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 8/15/2020 at 1:58 PM, Shady said:

And the downside to opening a domestic Schwab account is if they detect a non-US IP address, you will need to go to a US Branch in person.

I have not had that problem. But then, I have a USA mailing address, so perhaps that takes care of the potential issue?

I now use a VPN for everything, just to preclude any situations regarding being offshore.

To me, it's inexpensive and, like having a USA Skype phone number, it solves many potential problems... just saying...:smile:

• Like 1