Are your tropical meal times different ?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

I eat when I'm hungry, drink when I'm  dry both in UK and PI.

However I find to much rice gives me indigestion or bungs me up!....so I eat more fruit when in Philippines.

My weight has only change since lockdown in February I have gained 7 lbs ( 63.5kg now ) and can't shed it! :tiphat:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Kuya John said:

My weight has only change since lockdown in February I have gained 7 lbs ( 63.5kg now ) and can't shed it! :tiphat:

Try sexercise... works wonders...:ohmy:

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kuya John said:

However I find to much rice gives me indigestion or bungs me up!....so I eat more fruit when in Philippines

FYI

I don't know if this applies to your situation, re indigestion after eating; however I will mention it since it is a common ailment that crops up in the 60s or 70s for many.

For many people, the muscular valve at the tip of your stomach where the food enters (esophageal sphincter) weakens in aging. It leads to a lot of acid reflux episodes if you lie flat and try to sleep with food still in your stomach chamber. It also allows a lot of gas to escape causing bothersome feelings in the lower chest where gas is trapped until you  burp it free. The effect is that you can't lie prone in comfort until your stomach empties.

This started occurring in my later 60s and kept me up for the next several hours if I tried to sleep after eating a late supper.

A few years back, I met an ex-pat while staying in a MNL pension house who had been plagued with health problems in this area. He said that despite surgery, and the use of several pharmaceuticals, the only thing that worked for him in the end was drinking GINGER tea.

Back in the states, I started mincing up an inch of the fresh ginger root and adding hot water. After cooling, I would take it with my evening meals, drinking the liquid and leaving the bits for another charge of hot water for the next evening. It is effective and calmed the problem for me.

Here in the PI, my wife keeps my lidded cup charged up, renewing the ginger every 3 days. I drink it nightly with my meal (fried chicken, fish, rice, veggies, etc ) and no longer am bothered by neither acid reflux or gas indigestion episodes any longer.

There is literature on it if you do a info search.

Maybe it will alleviate this problem for others as well.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

, the only thing that worked for him in the end was drinking GINGER tea.

I wonder if Ginger Beer would do the same.  I used to drink that a lot and liked it.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Try sexercise... works wonders...:ohmy:

The problem there is I keep falling off! :thumbsup:

• Haha 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I wonder if Ginger Beer would do the same.  I used to drink that a lot and liked it.

Memories of my mum's homemade ginger beer. A modern western woman would not know how to make it. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
baronapart
Posted
Posted

I only eat two meals here in the States-lunch and supper. When I'm in the Philippines I eat three meals a day but much, much less at each sitting. I'm also much more physically active there than at home. I always lose weight.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, baronapart said:

I'm also much more physically active there than at home. I always lose weight.

Yes same here, I walk more in the Philippines and I lose weight there (only to put it back on in Australia).

• Thanks 1