Eggs, Chooks and Other Foods

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I know, eggs are ubiquitous here.

Since moving here a few years ago, I always bought eggs at the mall grocery store. However, we were driving somewhere the other day and we needed some eggs. So we stopped at a nearby shop on the street that sells the big flats of eggs along with other foods, including roasted chickens. L bought us one flat - 30, extra large size, along with a chicken.

I don't know what she paid, but it was less than grocery store price. They are brilliant - and very fresh. So, from now on, I will be buying eggs in one of these little stores rather than the grocery. And the street cooked chicken was inexpensive and tasty with lemon grass and other seasonings inside.

About two months ago, I bought some eggs at an SM store nearby. They were not the usual name brand Jewm but some other name. I was trying to use them for baking within a week of purchase and about half or more were rotten inside already. Yuck! I found Jewm are almost always good and fresh. Whenever I use eggs, I break them one at a time into a small bowl before adding them into whatever I am doing so that one rotten one will not ruin the batch or dish.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah, I know, eggs are ubiquitous here.

Since moving here a few years ago, I always bought eggs at the mall grocery store. However, we were driving somewhere the other day and we needed some eggs. So we stopped at a nearby shop on the street that sells the big flats of eggs along with other foods, including roasted chickens. L bought us one flat - 30, extra large size, along with a chicken.

I don't know what she paid, but it was less than grocery store price. They are brilliant - and very fresh. So, from now on, I will be buying eggs in one of these little stores rather than the grocery. And the street cooked chicken was inexpensive and tasty with lemon grass and other seasonings inside.

About two months ago, I bought some eggs at an SM store nearby. They were not the usual name brand Jewm but some other name. I was trying to use them for baking within a week of purchase and about half or more were rotten inside already. Yuck! I found Jewm are almost always good and fresh. Whenever I use eggs, I break them one at a time into a small bowl before adding them into whatever I am doing so that one rotten one will not ruin the batch or dish.

Tommy we recently made a test. Poached an egg from SM together with an egg from the market which we know comes from free range,  its sure as we know farmer. 

Chalk an cheese, now with restrictions eased here we are going today to buy, that is if this weekend market is open.

Little off topic, we watched a test no CNA yesterday, 4 food testers and I think 4 different types of chicken. The very expensive organic chickens from Aussie did not rate highest, highest score went to chickens feed on brown rice. Further the often quoted antibiotics in chicken being a danger to human health was put to rest.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, RBM said:

Tommy we recently made a test. Poached an egg from SM together with an egg from the market which we know comes from free range,  its sure as we know farmer. 

Chalk an cheese, now with restrictions eased here we are going today to buy, that is if this weekend market is open.

Sorry, RBM, but I don't quite understand the conclusion from your test. Maybe I need another coffee? How did they compare? Chalk and cheese?

L and I try to buy local, free range chickens often. They are a bit tough sometimes and definitely scrawny when compared to the commercially produced ones. But they taste good. L is still concerned about the antibiotics and hormones injected into the birds to make them grow healthy, quickly and fat. She carries some beliefs that she won't give up, regardless of physical evidence to the contrary of them. But she will eat commercial chicken anyway...

Something I did read a while back mentioned that it is not uncommon to buy commercial chooks that have broken legs. This is, apparently, a side effect of the crowded conditions for these suppliers.

Edited by Tommy T.

• Tommy T. changed the title to Eggs, Chooks and Other Foods
  • Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, RBM said:

Chalk an cheese,

6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Chalk and cheese?

Yankee test...........add Tabasco sauce they both pass with flying colors (or colours for you commonwealth cats) :hystery:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I just changed the topic title because I think it may become more comprehensive than just buying eggs.

I will add that we buy more food from street vendors than before so we don't have to go into the mall grocery stores. We see many more vendors than before and most of them seem to carry decent quality pork, chicken, vegetables and other goods. Last week we bought a 10 kg bag of Jasmine rice from a brand new vendor. Personally, I am happy to support these independents so long as they supply decent food products. I always like the "Little Guy," verses the big company. Maybe that's because I had my own business as a Little Guy many years ago?

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry, RBM, but I don't quite understand the conclusion from your test. Maybe I need another coffee? How did they compare? Chalk and cheese?

L and I try to buy local, free range chickens often. They are a bit tough sometimes and definitely scrawny when compared to the commercially produced ones. But they taste good. L is still concerned about the antibiotics and hormones injected into the birds to make them grow healthy, quickly and fat. Something I did read a while back mentioned that it is not uncommon to buy commercial chooks that have broken legs. This is, apparently, a side effect of the crowded conditions for these suppliers.

Sorry its an old saying meaning huge difference. During poaching the SM egg was very pale and watery, the genuine free range my SOH says had a very hard shell, the yoke was bright yellow.....taste difference was (dare I say) chalk an cheese) free range by far better.

The so called expert we listened to CNA (Singaporean expert) explained the amount of antibiotics being taken by live chickens is so small its irrelevant, any residue that remains will be destroyed by cooking. He emphasize this is not a factor in deciding what chicken to buy. Surprised? Yes I was shocked how ever he was not biased and gave his educated report. One must form their own opinion.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, RBM said:

The so called expert we listened to CNA (Singaporean expert) explained the amount of antibiotics being taken by live chickens is so small its irrelevant, any residue that remains will be destroyed by cooking. He emphasize this is not a factor in deciding what chicken to buy. Surprised? Yes I was shocked how ever he was not biased and gave his educated report. One must form their own opinion.

Thanks for the clarification about the eggs, RBM. And about the antibiotics regimen described by the documentary you watched about chickens and antibiotics.

Regarding the chooks... If it is not the antibiotics, I do have a bit of concern with the growth hormones they apparently inject into them. I mean, look at the size of the birds you can buy! And I have seen documentaries about how they are raised in closed in pens. I really have to close my eyes sometimes when I shop for chicken, pork, beef, any animal food. I love to eat it but don't like the way it is produced. Nothing to do about it if I want to continue to be a carnivore?

I will add one more comment here... Try reading the book "Fast Food Nation," I think is the name. If this is the one I am thinking about, the author relates in vivid detail the handling and slaughtering of animals and the processing of the meats. If you are at all squeamish, it might turn you into a vegetarian...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm always in 2 minds over this kind of subject.  Sure, independent retailers often/usually offer "better" quality products and sometimes at a better price but do we have time to trek around various small stores getting bits and pieces from each - I don't. And, despite what we may think, there is a better chance of quality control when buying from a supermarket.  

it's the same old question of large retailer v independent retailer.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I'm always in 2 minds over this kind of subject.  Sure, independent retailers often/usually offer "better" quality products and sometimes at a better price but do we have time to trek around various small stores getting bits and pieces from each - I don't. And, despite what we may think, there is a better chance of quality control when buying from a supermarket.  

I agree partially with your comments, HK. Quality control in supermarkets? Hmmm... I have seen large rats running around in the SM meat department and cockroaches wandering about in the associated open bread/bakery sales shop. Reminds me of shopping at the open markets in Mexico... When asking L to buy some burger buns or whatever, I tell her to just go to the "Cockroach Bakery." She laughs and knows which one!

The other part, at least, for us, is easy. Along the road to our current abode, there are a number of shops that sell pork, veggies, bbq, roast chicken. So they are just along the way. L is a keen shopper with a sharp eye and knows which ones carry the best goods, so that's where we stop. So recently some new ones have sprung up and, since they are so close to home, she has tried a number of them and found some she likes and others she doesn't.

Out by the new home there are countless veggie/fruit stands - sort of reminds me of those sorts of shops when I was a kid in Canada and my parents would stop at this one or that one to buy the fresh things they wanted.

Different locations and situations make for different experiences and opportunities?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I agree partially with your comments, HK. Quality control in supermarkets? Hmmm... I have seen large rats running around in the SM meat department and cockroaches wandering about in the associated open bread/bakery sales shop. Reminds me of shopping at the open markets in Mexico... When asking L to buy some burger buns or whatever, I tell her to just go to the "Cockroach Bakery." She laughs and knows which one!

The other part, at least, for us, is easy. Along the road to our current abode, there are a number of shops that sell pork, veggies, bbq, roast chicken. So they are just along the way. L is a keen shopper with a sharp eye and knows which ones carry the best goods, so that's where we stop. So recently some new ones have sprung up and, since they are so close to home, she has tried a number of them and found some she likes and others she doesn't.

Out by the new home there are countless veggie/fruit stands - sort of reminds me of those sorts of shops when I was a kid in Canada and my parents would stop at this one or that one to buy the fresh things they wanted.

Different locations and situations make for different experiences and opportunities?

Yep...we, or rather my wife, buys most of our meat and all our fruit and veg from the local market rather than supermarket so we're a fan.  

Sure, you'll find some examples of undesirable animals in the big supermarkets etc but, to be fair, nothing like the scale you'll find in the local markets.