Eggs, Chooks and Other Foods

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Since moving here a few years ago, I always bought eggs at the mall grocery store. However, we were driving somewhere the other day and we needed some eggs. So we stopped at a nearby shop on the street that sells the big flats of eggs along with other foods, including roasted chickens. L bought us one flat - 30, extra large size, along with a chicken.

Wish I could say the same thing about our street bought eggs. The shells are so thin they disintegrate when you crack them open and often the yolk breaks.

I'm not the only one to observe this my mate found this out too. We have been eating our turkey eggs recently because we don't want any more turkeys, complacently opposite to those street eggs. 

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Why is the yolk orange in some eggs? Does not taste good either. Sometimes that is all that is available. The explanation from the vendor was not comprehensible in any language.

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

Why is the yolk orange in some eggs? Does not taste good either. Sometimes that is all that is available. The explanation from the vendor was not comprehensible in any language.

If they've been feeding the chickens on rice with very little corn the yolks will be lighter yellow and taste slightly different. It reminds me of eating Norwegian bacon.  If I closed my eyes it could have been fish.  The meat had taken on the taste of the waste fish they fed the pigs on.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I do have a bit of concern with the growth hormones they apparently inject into them.

Inject? Would be a big task to do that. I think everything is added to their food in commercial chicken farms.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Inject? Would be a big task to do that. I think everything is added to their food in commercial chicken farms.

My understanding is that they actually do that... but. as always, I might be wrong. I have not researched that - too tired from researching and shopping for the home... I am sure someone here will check and tell us?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I am sure someone here will check and tell us?

Yep.  That took 2 seconds out of my life but happy to do it for ya

2 secs.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Ahh... so that explains also my burgeoning tummy size? I am certainly not taking growth hormones or antibiotics...:ohmy:

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Ahh... so that explains also my burgeoning tummy size? I am certainly not taking growth hormones or antibiotics...:ohmy:

Nothing to do with drinking copious amount of Tanduay and coke, tom.:shooter:

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yep.  That took 2 seconds out of my life but happy to do it for ya

2 secs.jpg

To be realistic. Anyone watch how much work it is to capture chickens when the time comes for off to processing so how could anyone do that often to inject them. Hi mam, lift your wing, wont hurt abit. WOW that was one hot chick, did you get her number :crack-up:

• Haha 3