Moving to Philippines

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kawanor said:

You say something there. If you are seriously ill, go home .. Then you go back.

It's not always possible to travel when ill (let along seriously ill), it works for conditions with a long lead time but not for sudden onset problems.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

It's not always possible to travel when ill (let along seriously ill), it works for conditions with a long lead time but not for sudden onset problems

True that.  I have had more than a few friends die in Philippine hospitals because they were too sick to get back to the USA.  That plan seldom works.  In most cases the sickness came on them too fast to respond with a flight home but in a couple of cases the guys could have made it but they waited too long.  Its human nature to wait and see if it gets better before paying for a fast flight back to your homeland.  Most often that is a mistake.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

It's not always possible to travel when ill (let along seriously ill), it works for conditions with a long lead time but not for sudden onset problems.

Pray tell me how would one travel if ill during covid times, especially if alone.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, RBM said:

Pray tell me how would one travel if ill during covid times, especially if alone.

I'm not sure why you're asking me that question?

I already said (and I quote) "it's not always possible to travel when ill", it's not me saying it's always possible to travel.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
On 10/10/2020 at 2:56 AM, Ash1984 said:

Im really looking to simplify things, so far the idea is to get a decent 1B apartment / studio. As for food, chicken and rice home cooked is my favorite. Im not much of a drinker and don't party, a couple of beers and im good. Phone and internet is of course something i would like to keep, so i can stay in touch with the life back home

So Ash, what did you decide?  Did you take the plunge and relocate to the Philippines?  If I was participating in this thread two years ago I would have suggested you look at other options in the Philippines other than Cebu.  Only because Cebu is a little bit more costly than other parts of the islands.  My wife and I opted for Batangas and bought a small farm there.  Personally, I think you would enjoy the Philippines.

• Like 3

softail
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Clermont said:

Life in the PI's with a sickness is not as bad as some make out, there's plenty of hospitals around in the major towns, if you live in the provinces you know the risks, your choice. Personally, I found a subdivision , ( don't believe everything you read about subdivisions, ) not to far from a hospital. I bought an Ebike 3 seater, plenty of alarms, Haha, and they can get through traffic quicker than most forms of transport. You can have private hospital cover or chance that your sickness isn't long. At an age were you've retired and with a illness you might have another 10/20 quality years left so you might as well enjoy them years. No, personally I'm not worried about sickness over there, plenty of home nurses to choose from if needed, just set yourself up. :SugarwareZ-005:

My thoughts exactly, have a good time while you can rather than wish you had when you can’t.

• Like 5