Cloud.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Has anybody else tried to use cloud? I installed it but it keeps asking for money to store data. It also kept me from staying logged into certain websites I have now uninstalled it as I think it is not good, for me anyway. Now I don`t have to login each time I change a window.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

Has anybody else tried to use cloud? I installed it but it keeps asking for money to store data. It also kept me from staying logged into certain websites I have now uninstalled it as I think it is not good, for me anyway. Now I don`t have to login each time I change a window.

Do you mean iCloud?  There are a lot of cloud services available...

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Do you mean iCloud?  There are a lot of cloud services available...

I think it is from microsoft but what you ask sounds familiar

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Microsoft cloud system is called Azure i believe. Free storage up to 5gb only then chargeable.

I like to keep it simple so everything is saved only to my computer and for important stuff I save to flash drive and another computer.

I did try to use One Drive but it was a pain as it seemed to stop stuff working on my laptop as it updated - no good for me as an online tutor.

Old fashioned I know but it works for me.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Like everything else these days, has any of the iCloud services ever been hacked?  

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The problem with most of the 'free' versions of cloud storage is that the amount of storage is small and the way they are set up tends to upload photos and videos by default which makes you run out of storage and then they'll try and upsell you.  I think Microsoft give you 5Gb free, Dropbox give your 2Gb free and Google drive give you 15Gb free.

Google Drive charge $1-99 per month (US$) for 100Gb of storage, Dropbox has gotten expensive since they were bought out at $12.50 per month but they do offer 2000Gb of storage.  Not sure how much Microsoft charge.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jake said:

Like everything else these days, has any of the iCloud services ever been hacked?  

Short answer... yes. 

These services are intended for consumer level data (photos, family videos that sort of thing) and whilst they are resistent to hacking they aren't immune.

• Like 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Hi there,

I assume you installed iCloud, or a similar product from Microsoft called OneDrive, to store your files in the cloud? If your requirements is to keep a few of your important files backed-up in the cloud, most products have a free tier where you don't pay a dime.

Microsoft OneDrive: 5 GB free
Apple iCloud: 5 GB free
DropBox: 2 GB free
Google Drive: 15 GB free
Tresorit: 3 GB free (good for encrypted contents)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Hi there,

I assume you installed iCloud, or a similar product from Microsoft called OneDrive, to store your files in the cloud? If your requirements is to keep a few of your important files backed-up in the cloud, most products have a free tier where you don't pay a dime.

Microsoft OneDrive: 5 GB free
Apple iCloud: 5 GB free
DropBox: 2 GB free
Google Drive: 15 GB free
Tresorit: 3 GB free (good for encrypted contents)

Thanks Vinne. 

The forum rules don't allow vlogs blogs or any advertising in most cases but your cloud suggestions are helpful and welcome.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

......the way they are set up tends to upload photos and videos by default which makes you run out of storage and then they'll try and upsell you. 

I was afraid of that.  Now, I need to research how to disable this default.  Thanks for the heads up Geoff!  

• Like 2