Cloud.

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Thanks Vinne. 

The forum rules don't allow vlogs blogs or any advertising in most cases but your cloud suggestions are helpful and welcome.

I see. I avoided posting links to the cloud products as their website can be easily Googled. In terms of advertising, I posted a list of the most popular products that offer a free tier. I am not endorsing any of them in particular. For my business I use OneDrive because it integrates well with other Microsoft tools I use. For personal use, I think Dropbox is pretty good and Tresorit is the one with the best security features.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

I see. I avoided posting links to the cloud products as their website can be easily Googled. In terms of advertising, I posted a list of the most popular products that offer a free tier. I am not endorsing any of them in particular. For my business I use OneDrive because it integrates well with other Microsoft tools I use. For personal use, I think Dropbox is pretty good and Tresorit is the one with the best security features.

You did exactly the right thing posting the name as you did and it was helpful especially to members like me who are not computer savvy.

• Like 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
Just now, Old55 said:

You did exactly the right thing posting the name as you did and it was helpful especially to members like me who are not computer savvy.

I see. For learning sake, what happens is a member needs to post a link because it's an integral part of the post contents? Are email and phone numbers preferable to web links?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

If it's a news article best to copy and paste doing so a dialog box may come up if so please select non active that's preferred.

Vlogs, Blogs are prohibited in most cases. Message Jollygoodfellow if you're in doubt.

Emails non commercial types should be avoided for privacy. A PM maybe used but not for sales or spam.

Commercial emails are OK only if not spam. OK if in response to a direct topic question or sometimes a topic you may start if it's not advertising or spam. It's a gray area I hope another mod can define this better.

As a new member you posted email and phone numbers for a real estate agent and it was edited out as we did not know if you were that person or another spammer. We get a lot of  spammers who join. Some spammers are sneaky but very few get past the mods. If an established member were to have provided that information it would been perfectly correct.

I hope this was helpful there are some gray areas. Ask if you are not sure but also please feel free to post that's what this forum is all about sharing helpful information.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Microsoft cloud system is called Azure i believe. Free storage up to 5gb only then chargeable.

I like to keep it simple so everything is saved only to my computer and for important stuff I save to flash drive and another computer.

I did try to use One Drive but it was a pain as it seemed to stop stuff working on my laptop as it updated - no good for me as an online tutor.

Old fashioned I know but it works for me.

I have removed it from my desktop and now I don`t get logged out of sites each time I change from say this forum to Yahoo.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

For backup storage I use free Dropbox and Pcloud. If I ran out of storage for free I would just open another account. Simple. Mainly only used for photos and a few files incase the computer dies. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 11/1/2020 at 12:58 PM, Gandang Smile said:

I see. For learning sake, what happens is a member needs to post a link because it's an integral part of the post contents? Are email and phone numbers preferable to web links?

Emails are not preferred at all as thats how spammers harvest them. Links are fine to most things except as stated, Vlogs, blogs etc but more so for new members as we dont know what a new members purpose is on the forum and can turn out to be free advertising or to push members to their youtube channel etc so basically if its purpose is to give good advice such as where to buy something or that sort of thing we dont mine.

If the member posting has a financial interest or promoting something for like a family member then we remove it as that is advertising for free and why should we so we dont. 

Hope that makes some sort of sense :89: :smile:

• Like 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Emails are not preferred at all as thats how spammers harvest them. Links are fine to most things except as stated, Vlogs, blogs etc but more so for new members as we dont know what a new members purpose is on the forum and can turn out to be free advertising or to push members to their youtube channel etc so basically if its purpose is to give good advice such as where to buy something or that sort of thing we dont mine.

If the member posting has a financial interest or promoting something for like a family member then we remove it as that is advertising for free and why should we so we dont. 

Hope that makes some sort of sense :89: :smile:

Hi @Jollygoodfellow, it makes perfect sense, and is in fact in line with what I see in here: a beautiful forum platform, well maintained, well moderated, with polite and informative contents spread over a myriad of topics. As you are the Forum Manager, I hope my congratulations for all this work are well addressed, and well received.

Looking forward to contributing more!

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Hi @Jollygoodfellow, it makes perfect sense, and is in fact in line with what I see in here: a beautiful forum platform, well maintained, well moderated, with polite and informative contents spread over a myriad of topics. As you are the Forum Manager, I hope my congratulations for all this work are well addressed, and well received.

Looking forward to contributing more!

Triple LIKE Sir!  

• Like 3