Pork Ribs Dinner

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sweet Baby Ray's is one of the better sauces IMO. You can make your own easy enough tastes better too.

Ribs in Philippines? Slow cooker baby!!!!!

Two racks of ribs cut in half, four segments of ribs. Get the medium size not baby back or full rack. Trim a full rack down to get that size if needed.

Dry rub and overnight in fridge.

Place four segments along the sides of the cooker the meatier sides up. Six + hours on high.

Drain 15-20 min on rack.

Apply some sauce and enjoy.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

Ribs in Philippines? Slow cooker baby!!!!!

Sounds great, Old! But I don't have a slow cooker yet... Soon...

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tom, you may want to buy a presser cooker instead of a slow cooker. I'm used to just using the slow cooker but with the new presser cookers available now they may be a better choice. 

I use our slow cooker at least twice a week. IMO it's the perfect thing for Philippines due to the heat. YouTube is full of great recipes. 

If you use BBQ sauce on a regular basis make your own it's better than you can buy and cheap to make. One of the key ingredient is Bragg cider vinegar look for recipes that feature it. At least that's how I like it.

Buy the slow cooker bags too it makes clean up so easy.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

Love our slow cooker.  Shipped one and trying to teach Olivia how to use it.  We have a slow cooker recipe cook book.  Still looking for Lawry's seasoned salt, love that stuff.   

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Tom, you may want to buy a presser cooker instead of a slow cooker. I'm used to just using the slow cooker but with the new presser cookers available now they may be a better choice. 

I use our slow cooker at least twice a week. IMO it's the perfect thing for Philippines due to the heat. YouTube is full of great recipes. 

If you use BBQ sauce on a regular basis make your own it's better than you can buy and cheap to make. One of the key ingredient is Bragg cider vinegar look for recipes that feature it. At least that's how I like it.

Buy the slow cooker bags too it makes clean up so easy.

Thanks for your helpful tips, Old!

I already have a pressure cooker (maybe 30 years old but still works) but have not used it in years - so hot on the yacht!

But I like the idea of a slow cooker. L bought us a new rice cooker and it makes rice preparation so easy. So we will find a slow cooker to add to the list. I will also seek the Bragg cider vinegar... 

I also have a make-it-yourself recipe book for sauces. I have been too lazy to make my own lately... So need to get off my ass and get to it! Great suggestion! I have liquid smoke and just need to mix and taste.

44 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

Love our slow cooker.  Shipped one and trying to teach Olivia how to use it.  We have a slow cooker recipe cook book.  Still looking for Lawry's seasoned salt, love that stuff.   

I forget where I found the Lawry's Season Salt... But I think it was likely in Gaisano grocery store. S & R might have it, but G-store here in Davao seems to carry lots of odd and foreign foods and lots of seasonings. I don't need any more right now, but next time I go to G-Mall, I will look.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 11/16/2020 at 9:57 PM, Old55 said:

Not sure if I agree. “Instant Pots” have become the rage here in the USA. I bough one about a year ago. They’re great for quickly cooking soups - especially bean types as there is no need to soak dry beans overnight (but I still do to reduce the proverbial “bean farts”, lol). But for cooking things like ribs or beef stew it seems the meat always comes out “stringy”. Although moist, the flavor just isn’t the same as slow cooking. Regardless of the spices ..... almost always seem to taste like pressure cooked pot roast as opposed to that deep flavor you get from “low n slow” cooking. So for me, it was back to using an old school crock pot for certain comfort food recipes like ribs, beef stew and chile. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Gator said:

Not sure if I agree. “Instant Pots” have become the rage here in the USA. I bough one about a year ago. They’re great for quickly cooking soups - especially bean types as there is no need to soak dry beans overnight (but I still do to reduce the proverbial “bean farts”, lol). But for cooking things like ribs or beef stew it seems the meat always comes out “stringy”. Although moist, the flavor just isn’t the same as slow cooking. Regardless of the spices ..... almost always seem to taste like pressure cooked pot roast as opposed to that deep flavor you get from “low n slow” cooking. So for me, it was back to using an old school crock pot for certain comfort food recipes like ribs, beef stew and chile. 

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Good to know the "instant pots" are not the same as a slow cooker.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 11/17/2020 at 10:57 AM, Old55 said:

I use our slow cooker at least twice a week. IMO it's the perfect thing for Philippines due to the heat.

I had one back in Australia. Seemed to me no matter what I cooked it all tasted the same.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1