New LTO rules for getting a driving license

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Yesterday my friend went to LTO in Dumaguete to change his Thai driving license to a Philippine`s one. So he took the medical went in and they made him sit a test. Well they now have facial recognition on the computer. BUT the computer will not recognize people with glasses and keeps shutting down. If like me you need glasses to read how the hell are you supposed to take the test.

I feel this is another example of using something before it is fully tested. OH well another day in paradise.

Am I surprised???

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, expatuk2014 said:

Reminds me of when i went register at immigration in Manila. I was told i needed an xray before leaving the UK which had to be put onto a disk.

The Doctor apologised to me as they were still running wndows xp and their software couldnt read the disk !

Had the same experience with the added bloodwork.  Did all the required tests in the states the Philippine Embassy requested so could be inserted into the packet for immigration but still had to go to local lab for another test.  Well, long done and passed.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
skippyscage
Posted
Posted

I got one of my licenses converted yesterday... kind of

I'm a dual UK/US citizen - my UK licence is valid for every single type of vehicle on the road (motorcycle to the largest truck and bus), but my US licence is only valid for a car.

At the local LTO where I got my "medical" they said I could apply for a professional license based on my UK one, which would allow me to drive any weight of vehicle (we also have a farm so that will come in handy from time to time) - only one of the LTOs in the city is able to issue conversions however and there they basically has no idea what to do with me.

After much back and forth inside the office they decided that as I entered the PH on my US passport, then they could only take my US licence, which means only a car licence for me.

I then have to wait one year before applying for a motorcycle licence to drive a scooter, and also take the test and course.

After driving all forms of transport for more then 35 years it does make me a little pissed-off.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Skippuyscage. Don't become irritated just keep in mind that Philippines is "More Fun". :Policeman:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, skippyscage said:

After driving all forms of transport for more then 35 years it does make me a little pissed-off.

A dozen or so years ago I had my license transferred over.  I had a Class 1/6 with air which meant I could drive anything except trains (more than 2 trailers).  They allowe me to transfer the non-proffessional and motorcycle license but said they could not, (would not?), give me a professional license.  So I think you are lucky you got what you got.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, skippyscage said:

After much back and forth inside the office they decided that as I entered the PH on my US passport, then they could only take my US licence, which means only a car licence for me.

Yep, they are great at finding a way to justify taking the path of least resistance.  To be fair, whilst frustrating, it can make life easier all around in some situations. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I arrived with a UK licence for every category of vehicle from motorcycle to tracked licence and every HGV. They would only give me car and motorcycle. 

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

I never did get round to using my self-propelled ride-on motorised mower, or road rollers and steam-traction engines over 10 tons classifications... pulling up to 3 trailers and a gypsy caravan.  :89:

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1