New math calculation.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My daughter, the same for most kids, is doing online schooling. Now I can add and subtract but they have changed the way they formulate it and I don`t know how to help her without confusing the situation. My question is does anybody know of a video which explains how to do " New Math". Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Maybe this will help.   I think there are many many adults sharing your frustration.  If you need pictures to add two numbers you are making the simple complex.  Just my opinion of course and I am not a teacher.  Maybe they are teaching them new math so they can work for the government and not recognize what deficit spending is. :whistling:

https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/learning-at-home/homework-study-skills/9-new-math-problems-and-methods

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Maybe this will help.   I think there are many many adults sharing your frustration.  If you need pictures to add two numbers you are making the simple complex.  Just my opinion of course and I am not a teacher.  Maybe they are teaching them new math so they can work for the government and not recognize what deficit spending is. :whistling:

https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/learning-at-home/homework-study-skills/9-new-math-problems-and-methods

Thanks for that I found 1 example on there which is helpful, but as for drawing all them dots or grids forget it. Some silly idiot got paid to mess up maths from how it was. Now I need to find the method( without square boxes or dots) for subtraction and multiplication. If I teach her my way she will fail.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, sonjack2847 said:

Thanks for that I found 1 example on there which is helpful, but as for drawing all them dots or grids forget it. Some silly idiot got paid to mess up maths from how it was. Now I need to find the method( without square boxes or dots) for subtraction and multiplication. If I teach her my way she will fail.

You can always rely on Mr. Google to assist you. :thumbsup:   Be sure to put new math in quotes "new math".

"new math" how to multiply

"new math" how to substract

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

My daughter, the same for most kids, is doing online schooling. Now I can add and subtract but they have changed the way they formulate it and I don`t know how to help her without confusing the situation. My question is does anybody know of a video which explains how to do " New Math". Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I had the same problem.  I just had to back off and she was on her own.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Not only do I struggle with the method, but even the instructions are so unclear. I'm not sure what it is here, but they simply cannot convey things clearly. I had an email from BPI today  titled "You don't need to worry about uninterrupted payments" - I don't,  it's the interrupted ones that worry me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I feel your frustration.  Maths and Arithmetic are a strong point with me and I tried to assist a partner that was studying to be a teacher. There are many different methods you can use to find a solution but for some reason I've found they teach the method that takes up the most space and time.  I tried and tried to show my partner simple and logical methods that cut out a lot of errors but after constant arguments I gave up. The old adage of if you don't like how we do things go home springs to mind.  

• Like 3

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

If I teach her my way she will fail.

No doubt about that Kev. Fingers and toes will only take her so far.

:hystery::hystery:

• Haha 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

If I teach her my way she will fail.

If Daddy has six beer and drinks one then how many does he have left?  If Daddy keeps his 6 beer and goes out to buy 6 more does he have 2 times as many beer?

How many beer will Daddy have left if Jack comes over?    Hmmm.  In that case I guess math really is hard.

• Haha 3