Sending cheese in a balikbayan box

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have just received a balikbayan box with some cheese from the UK inside. It was sent on September 2nd. I was a bit wary of if the cheese would be ok. I can tell you that apart from sweating and being a bit crumbly it is fine. At 370 pence(UK) for 750 grams it is very good value. A comparable cheese here would be at around 3 times the price.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have just received a balikbayan box with some cheese from the UK inside. It was sent on September 2nd. I was a bit wary of if the cheese would be ok. I can tell you that apart from sweating and being a bit crumbly it is fine. At 370 pence(UK) for 750 grams it is very good value. A comparable cheese here would be at around 3 times the price.

Here in Cebu now days I find many imported cheeses and cold cuts so easy to find including steak. As for savings by doing your way it might be fine this shipment and loose the lot next? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I often wondered who was the first person to eat mouldy blue cheese and this is an eye opener.  I now realize it was probably a cheap fellow who recieved a shipment of mouldy cheese and decided he would just try a little bit to see if it was still edible.  Kudos to the brave people to try eating the sweaty, crumbly bits.

It brings a whole new meaning to imported aged cheese Dave. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Here in Cebu now days I find many imported cheeses and cold cuts so easy to find including steak. As for savings by doing your way it might be fine this shipment and loose the lot next? 

The shipments are monitored and insured so safe, this is the 3rd shipment and very minor problems with 3 items broken. Some of the things I buy (what I used to like) I wonder how I ever ate them. As for the cheese it is Mature cheddar so by the time it gets here it`s almost antique. I x750 g block will last me 4-6 months. As for cold cuts belcris here is getting a few more in stock now and there is a Russian guy who makes some and they are good.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

It brings a whole new meaning to imported aged cheese Dave. :whistling:

Ah but I like strong cheese as I come from near Cheddar in the UK, we used to buy cheese from the farmers.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I love cheese too Kevin. Strong or stinky (Stilton) or whatever it's all good stuff.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Strong or stinky (Stilton) or whatever it's all good stuff.

We share a love of good stuff.  Coincidentally, I have just purhased a block of Stilton an hour before reading this.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Speaking of cheese. The other day I made a pizza. Imported mozzarella and decided to put some Philippines shredded cheddar cheese on top as well. The cheddar didn't even melt. What sort of fake cheese is that? 

• Haha 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Speaking of cheese. The other day I made a pizza. Imported mozzarella and decided to put some Philippines shredded cheddar cheese on top as well. The cheddar didn't even melt. What sort of fake cheese is that? 

Tropical cheese.  Made to sit on a loading dock in the sun for many days, and still not melt.

• Hmm thinking 1