Sending cheese in a balikbayan box

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

The shipments are monitored and insured so safe, this is the 3rd shipment and very minor problems with 3 items broken. Some of the things I buy (what I used to like) I wonder how I ever ate them. As for the cheese it is Mature cheddar so by the time it gets here it`s almost antique. I x750 g block will last me 4-6 months. As for cold cuts belcris here is getting a few more in stock now and there is a Russian guy who makes some and they are good.

How do you keep the outside from drying out and/or getting moldy?  I read that aluminum foil is better than plastic wrap but I had no luck the only time I tried it because the aluminum foil I used was so thin it just fell apart.  At Royal duty free they sometimes have some large blocks of a couple of cheeses I like, but I don't know how to keep it good.  If I leave a small previously opened small block in the frig for a week, it starts to dry out and / or get moldy.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

I love cheese too Kevin. Strong or stinky (Stilton) or whatever it's all good stuff.

I like cheese a lot.  So does my 4 year old.  Even some relatively strong cheddar.

The problem is, the rest of the family doesn't like it when we cut the cheese.

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Speaking of cheese. The other day I made a pizza. Imported mozzarella and decided to put some Philippines shredded cheddar cheese on top as well. The cheddar didn't even melt. What sort of fake cheese is that? 

I've been there also.  The cheese came grated and I sprinkled it onto my pizza.  The finished article looked like it had fries on top.  The cheese had dried out and turned crispy just like three day old overcooked fries. 

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

How do you keep the outside from drying out and/or getting moldy?  I read that aluminum foil is better than plastic wrap but I had no luck the only time I tried it because the aluminum foil I used was so thin it just fell apart.  At Royal duty free they sometimes have some large blocks of a couple of cheeses I like, but I don't know how to keep it good.  If I leave a small previously opened small block in the frig for a week, it starts to dry out and / or get moldy.

Ziplock bags work well for storing cheese. 

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Ziplock bags work well for storing cheese. 

And don't touch the bare cheese with your hands.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've been there also.  The cheese came grated and I sprinkled it onto my pizza.  The finished article looked like it had fries on top.  The cheese had dried out and turned crispy just like three day old overcooked fries. 

Exactly how mine turned out. :89:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, jpbago said:

And don't touch the bare cheese with your hands.

Maybe that is the root cause of my cheesy problems.  :89:

I don't know why, but when I give a slice of sharp cheddar to my 4 year old daughter, she likes to lick it while eating it!

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It comes vacuum packed so no air can get in plus cheese is very salty so no bacteria affects it. As for keeping it in the fridge if mine goes mouldy a scrape off the mold. Maybe you could put cling film on to stop it drying out in the fridge.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Old55 said:

I love cheese too Kevin. Strong or stinky (Stilton) or whatever it's all good stuff.

Some of the cheese which was made near where I used to live would be so strong as to bring tears to your eyes. Cheddar is beddar.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted
On 11/28/2020 at 1:57 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Speaking of cheese. The other day I made a pizza. Imported mozzarella and decided to put some Philippines shredded cheddar cheese on top as well. The cheddar didn't even melt. What sort of fake cheese is that? 

Actually sounds normal.... we used to make parmesan cheese "crackers" with Kraft Parmesan in the US.... form into a circle and bake.... ends up like a flat parmesan chip/cracker. It doesn't "melt" like other cheeses... too dry.