Builders wanting more money after agreement made!!

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Old55 said:

This is exactly what savvy Filipinos do for the most part. My mother in law was on site when work took place and did as Scott said. She even watched as the cement was mixed! 

We did the same when we lived in the USA and have a place built here.  Mother in law could account for every peso that was spent.  We received photos and detailed expense reports via email at the end of each week.   I wonder if our mother in laws are related? :hystery:

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

BC57
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

You could file an action against them.  But, would it be throwing good money after bad?  You don't me to tell you this, but paying all the money before the project was completed was a mistake and was only going to lead to where you are now.  

For me, it's damage limitation now.  I'd be looking at getting a price for the remaining work and sticking to it.  If you're happy with the work the existing contractor has done then you may wish to swallow some pride and get them to finish the job OR you can spend the time to find another contractor and hope it works out.  Sometimes work can go over budget and it doesn't mean they are ripping you off necessarily.

You are right, he should not have paid all of the money before the project was completed, a lesson learned hopefully:571c66d400c8c_1(103):. I wonder why they could not have sent a real contract via email:89:.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Darren_UK said:
o I agreed with the builders to build me 3 rooms with CR and a bar for 1m. This has been confirmed on FB messenger with detailed plans / measurements / layout etc. (The builders were recommended from a good friend who has had 2 houses built and no problems).

We got the plans drawn up and building permits etc and had the detailed costings of all materials / labour etc which came to total of 775k. 

Are you still good friends with those who recommended these crooks ? 

16 hours ago, Darren_UK said:
Any advice or similar experiences you can share would be much appreciated! I don’t know what to do!

Two guys on a motorbike usually solve everything in this country. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

but he will never get work from me and my friends again.

Kevi do you think this will worry him?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Darren_UK said:

Thank you all for your advice and comments. I’ve definitely learned my lesson here & will buy the materials myself & pay the workers daily / weekly with close supervision.

The good news is I had a meeting with the Owner & Foreman and after serious words and threats to take legal action (of which I wouldn’t) they have agreed to finish the 3 rooms and bar with no extra costs.

Thank you again for all your advice and comments!!

Sounds promising - good luck!

If it makes you feel any better, there aren't many of us here who haven't been ripped off to some extent or other, despite all the good advice around.  It's dammed difficult when you are dealing with people who have limited morals and scruples when it comes to money - not all but many!

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

You've asked a good question.  Here, it doesn't seem to matter to contractors if they get a bad name - I'm not sure locals care that much about reputation and base everything on the price and the cheaper the better.  The result is the issues we all face when we are getting work done.  My last project's contractor actually said he had never done work for a foreigner before as he'd heard we were difficult!  He's probably right if I'm being honest - but I reckon we've every right to be "difficult" if we're paying over the odds as we often are. Anyway, are we difficult or just asking for a level of work that meets a certain level of expectation?

• Like 5

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Our 2 story home cost us 1.4 million pesos that includes fully plummed, full electrics and all windows ! We were on site while it was being built and we ordered all the materials ! ( 2 bedrooms balcony,living room,cr , upstairs )

Kitchen,cr,dining room, downstairs.

No of workers started at 6 eventually ended at 4 the builder wanted to lose 2 more so his days would be longer but the wife refused ! Since then we have added a front entrance, added a dirty kitchen and our first bayo kubo, then we bought another bayo kubo and then added a entrance to it , we also added a car port the length of the family home and we added large folding gates! We learnt that by buying the materials ourselves we were not having materials delivered to other sites ! Something the wife explained to me ! And if they " borrowed  " our tools,drills,screwdrivers etc the wife made them sign for them ! And we paid them on a daily basis ! 

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 12/16/2020 at 7:04 AM, BC57 said:

You are right, he should not have paid all of the money before the project was completed, a lesson learned hopefully:571c66d400c8c_1(103):. I wonder why they could not have sent a real contract via email:89:.

I kept 100k back until all was finished. The best he can do is put it down to experience unfortunately. Stage payments is the way to go.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 12/16/2020 at 8:46 AM, RBM said:

No but he will lose out in the long run. I suppose I could do nothing. Builders ( term used lightly) here usually get treated better by expats than other locals so his loss. He did a job for an expat after mine and got 30% more than a local would have paid him. He now does not get so much especially if they ask me about him.

• Like 3