Dark side of Duterte's regime suppressing freedom of the press.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 12/16/2020 at 4:37 PM, Jack D said:

My wife and your wife seem to have the very same nostalgic view of the Marcos family.

Beginning to see a trend here guys.

They were attracted to and married a virile strong man with charismatic leadership qualities?

Or a guy who could support her shoe collection addiction?

Feel free to contribute reasons........

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

There's certainly a culture here where kindness is a weakness.  I struggle to get my head around how locals continually vote for politicians that screw them over. I've lost count of the obvious corruption that affects them yet they turn a blind eye to it. In some cases they admire them. 

As for the current President I think he's doing as good a job as he can under difficult circumstances.  I like his hard line approach to many things and his lack of diplomacy. I'd rather know how a person thinks than have someone try to bullsh#$ me with kind words. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

There's certainly a culture here where kindness is a weakness.  I struggle to get my head around how locals continually vote for politicians that screw them over. I've lost count of the obvious corruption that affects them yet they turn a blind eye to it. In some cases they admire them. 

As for the current President I think he's doing as good a job as he can under difficult circumstances.  I like his hard line approach to many things and his lack of diplomacy. I'd rather know how a person thinks than have someone try to bullsh#$ me with kind words. 

Good points Snowy.

Yep, I've seen with my own eyes locals gladly voting for corrupt officials for a very small donation especially if the corruption benefits them. More and more lately we see the same here in the States.

I have mixed feelings about Duterte. I completely agree with you about speaking directly with no BS. Unfortanatly he's in deep with the ccp.  I don't live there and I'm not Filipino so I can't judge.  

Edited by Old55

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm not sure I agree with all of the above, Snowy. I don't see a culture of kindness being seen as a weakness, rather a culture of selfishness which makes being kind a rarity. As for voting - well, the paying for votes system pretty much overrides any thought process.

As for the president, I'm mostly with you on that but not the diplomacy part - he's not running a business or the military. He should be able to be diplomatic in his dealings with other leaders as a minimum. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm not sure I agree with all of the above, Snowy. I don't see a culture of kindness being seen as a weakness, rather a culture of selfishness which makes being kind a rarity.

That is a bit of a gray area with many angles.  The Proud Filipino doesn't want to be perceived as weak or losing face, so that sometimes leads to being unkind and selfish.  When you comingle all of these traits, it probably does lean towards a label of selfishness, but as always, be careful when painting with a broad brush.  My best Filipino buddy here is about as selfless as humans come, and their are many acts of kindness in the Philippines.  We just have to look a bit harder.

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 12/19/2020 at 9:54 AM, OnMyWay said:

That is a bit of a gray area with many angles.  The Proud Filipino doesn't want to be perceived as weak or losing face, so that sometimes leads to being unkind and selfish.  When you comingle all of these traits, it probably does lean towards a label of selfishness, but as always, be careful when painting with a broad brush.  My best Filipino buddy here is about as selfless as humans come, and their are many acts of kindness in the Philippines.  We just have to look a bit harder.

Agreed it's a complex mix but it does manifest itself as what we would call selfishness.  

I spent 10 years in Hong Kong - now, there's a culture that is worth analysing for anthropologists.  

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 12/19/2020 at 9:54 AM, OnMyWay said:

My best Filipino buddy here is about as selfless as humans come, and their are many acts of kindness in the Philippines.  We just have to look a bit harder.

I understand this too because I have met a few including my builder who I feel did too much extras for no charge.  I did reward him when the build was complete and we have been great friends since.  They are out there.  It just takes time to know them and see what they are truely like.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/16/2020 at 12:31 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

That being 2 guys on a motorcycle. 

They have moved on from that now.  Did any of you see the latest YouTube viral video about the cop shooting his neighbors?  Its so very clear in the video.  Off duty cop trying to relax at home but the neighbors are making a lot of noise so he goes over to tell them to keep it down.  Big argument happens.  Cop pulls out gun and shoots elderly mother and her son.  Twice in the head for each of them.  All on video.  Then he calmly walks away.  Story is he drove to the next town and turned himself in.

Will he get away with it under the Duterte regime?  My money says 50-50

Here is the link for those who want to watch it on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/yatap.tomjones/videos/742674036604280/

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Sad 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

They have moved on from that now.  Did any of you see the latest YouTube viral video about the cop shooting his neighbors?  Its so very clear in the video.  Off duty cop trying to relax at home but the neighbors are making a lot of noise so he goes over to tell them to keep it down.  Big argument happens.  Cop pulls out gun and shoots elderly mother and her son.  Twice in the head for each of them.  All on video.  Then he calmly walks away.  Story is he drove to the next town and turned himself in.

If it wasn't on video I would say yes. But the uproar over the very clear video is pretty intense. I say convicted and somewhere down the line he gets an early release.

Viking
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Here is the link for those who want to watch it on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/yatap.tomjones/videos/742674036604280/

Whithout knowing the whole story behind this, I still find it quite scary, that more than 11k people have liked the video!!!

• Like 1