Philippines education standards today

Terry P
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Putting everybody's views together, I think we can conclude that, when it comes to local kids (not foreigners' kids) having quality education:

• quality education that is less competitive to access and relatively hassle-free is provided by the 10% private boarding schools and colleges: the usual Ateneos, De La Salle, and established (> 50 years in operation) private institutions
  • quality education that is free for all but more competitive and harder to handle is provided by the University of the Philippine or the Institute of Technology franchises, usually in all tier-1 and some tier-2 cities
  • free quality education is not that affordable anymore, once learning materials and logistics are factored in - this effectively means kids who are poor but bright are privileged if they happen to live in a big city or at close distance to a Pisay/UP campus.

Having said that, I did hear a few stories about kids who move in with their uncles or even family friends in a large citites, so they can have lodging and food as well as easier access to their college campus. It's not that uncommon.

In the end, Terry et al., the old adage holds...if there's a will, there's a way.

What I tend to criticise is the culture of laziness and mediocrity that seems to propagate from the adults of the family to the children. Alas, this is something that exists in every country, not just the Philippines.

True there is laziness in every society wherever you are in the world. My contention is and I hope you don't take this the wrong way

Where there's a will there's a way is a pipedream in this instance

By your own admission you have tried to work within the Philippines system and haven't exactly made a success and that's not for the want of trying. You must have had success in other parts of the world And again by your own admissionthe Filipino without the network face an even harder task

Transfer this to a penniless family in some rural barangay. How would you expect them to have to have the wherewithal or resources to gain a decent education for their children without the godfather you refer to.

• Love it 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
Just now, TerryP said:

True there is laziness in every society wherever you are in the world. My contention is and I hope you don't take this the wrong way

By your own admission you have tried to work within the Philippines system and haven't exactly made a success and that's not for the want of trying. You must have had success in other parts of the world And again by your own admissionthe Filipino without the network face an even harder task

Transfer this to a penniless family in some rural barangay. How would you expect them to have to have the wherewithal or resources to gain a decent education for their children without the godfather you refer to.

I must have a sit down with my lady and find out how she achieved it for her children because that's precisely what she did

Till now I've only admired that achievement without considering the details

Perhaps it's about time I did

• Like 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TerryP said:

Well, it depends what one's ambitions are. Sometimes it only takes one teacher, one family friend or ninong, one family member to give a kid that modicum of support and encouragement, so they muster the motivation to leave the province and move to a bigger city to attend college.

You may have heard different stories but, based on what I have heard and seen, it's not that uncommon for smart kids to move from rural Visayas to Cebu or, say, Iloilo because that's where the better schools are. Moving to town at least removes much of the trouble with logistics and being fed and sheltered by a benign relative or family member lowers down the living costs.

Of course getting a degree at a decent university doesn't mean these kids will become geniuses, win prizes, study in the US and become rich by "world standards". 99% of them will just find jobs in the city where they graduated, perhaps a bigger one. A young man or woman who becomes a nurse, some sort of engineer or architect, maybe an accountant, has already accomplished a big "social upgrade" compared to their subsistence farming family.

They'll hardly get filthy rich but will definitely attain "middle class" status: buy or build a house in a mid-end subdivision, have a car, send a couple of kids to college, etc.

1 hour ago, TerryP said:

By your own admission you have tried to work within the Philippines system and haven't exactly made a success and that's not for the want of trying. You must have had success in other parts of the world And again by your own admission the Filipino without the network face an even harder task

It depends on anyone's definition of success. I had been working in London for banks and other financial houses for 10+ years before moving to the Philippines but, truth be told, I wasn't happy with the routine, the high cost of living and the tireless "rat race". Plus I wasn't a broker or a trader, I was an IT guy, a software developer, my career had a cap and a big one compared to the million-pound-a-year making guys.

Separation from my ex-wife was the penny-dropping moment, I guess. Maybe I acted impulsively by coming here and I didn't find what I was looking for. The important thing is that I survived the disappointment and the frustration, I stuck around and, for the past 3 years at least, I am in a much better position.

Of course, the regret remains that "the Filipino culture" hasn't exactly lived up to my perhaps naive expectations. It's also true that I gave up making an effort to find the good ones, make friends with them and appreciate them for who they are and what they can give me.

I can blame them for obliterating my desire to mingle with them, but can't blame them if I can't find good people because I am not trying.

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, TerryP said:

I must have a sit down with my lady and find out how she achieved it for her children because that's precisely what she did

Till now I've only admired that achievement without considering the details

Perhaps it's about time I did

I think you married an amazing woman and, perhaps you can take that as a compliment, she is probably not the only amazing story of dedication to their children.

Terry P
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

I think you married an amazing woman and, perhaps you can take that as a compliment, she is probably not the only amazing story of dedication to their children.

She is not by far the only success story. I know of many within the family and without

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
Just now, TerryP said:

She is not by far the only success story. I know of many within the family and without

What's important is that she's your success story :smile:

Terry P
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Well, it depends what one's ambitions are. Sometimes it only takes one teacher, one family friend or ninong, one family member to give a kid that modicum of support and encouragement, so they muster the motivation to leave the province and move to a bigger city to attend college.

You may have heard different stories but, based on what I have heard and seen, it's not that uncommon for smart kids to move from rural Visayas to Cebu or, say, Iloilo because that's where the better schools are. Moving to town at least removes much of the trouble with logistics and being fed and sheltered by a benign relative or family member lowers down the living costs.

Of course getting a degree at a decent university doesn't mean these kids will become geniuses, win prizes, study in the US and become rich by "world standards". 99% of them will just find jobs in the city where they graduated, perhaps a bigger one. A young man or woman who becomes a nurse, some sort of engineer or architect, maybe an accountant, has already accomplished a big "social upgrade" compared to their subsistence farming family.

They'll hardly get filthy rich but will definitely attain "middle class" status: buy or build a house in a mid-end subdivision, have a car, send a couple of kids to college, etc.

It depends on anyone's definition of success. I had been working in London for banks and other financial houses for 10+ years before moving to the Philippines but, truth be told, I wasn't happy with the routine, the high cost of living and the tireless "rat race". Plus I wasn't a broker or a trader, I was an IT guy, a software developer, my career had a cap and a big one compared to the million-pound-a-year making guys.

Separation from my ex-wife was the penny-dropping moment, I guess. Maybe I acted impulsively by coming here and I didn't find what I was looking for. The important thing is that I survived the disappointment and the frustration, I stuck around and, for the past 3 years at least, I am in a much better position.

Of course, the regret remains that "the Filipino culture" hasn't exactly lived up to my perhaps naive expectations. It's also true that I gave up making an effort to find the good ones, make friends with them and appreciate them for who they are and what they can give me.

I can blame them for obliterating my desire to mingle with them, but can't blame them if I can't find good people because I am not trying.

In that case we have came at this from totally different perspectives from day 1

I have experienced mostly the better side of their culture although accept there is some truth in your opinions  from time to time. You have unfortunately experienced probably more than your fair share of the worst

I propose we call a truce to the bickering and I accept from time to time the negative has to be said occasionally.

You stop your constant criticism of all things Filipino and I stop trying to pull it apart at every turn

Deal?🤝

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
Just now, TerryP said:

In that case we have came at this from totally different perspectives from day 1

I have experienced mostly the better side of their culture although accept there is some truth in your opinions  from time to time. You have unfortunately experienced probably more than your fair share of the worst

I propose we call a truce to the bickering and I accept from time to time the negative has to be said occasionally.

You stop your constant criticism of all things Filipino and I stop trying to pull it apart at every turn

Deal?🤝

I don't know how long you have lived here in the Philippines. For all the nice things I have experienced in the past 5+ years here, I maintain that it's much easier to get exposed to the negatives. By the way, it's exactly the same in Italy and most countries! :wink:

A tourist or short-term visitor's perspective tends to notice and remember the good stuff. Living here for years on end, especially while keeping busy with a tiring work routine, tends to reveal the annoying, frustrating, odious, bitter stuff inherent in everyday life. This does not mean that this country and its people have nothing good to offer, or things are not poised to improve over time. Far from it.

Looking at some of the bright kids who are excelling at sciences, business, and sports makes one hopeful. Looking at the many "world-class" urban developments sprouting in Taguig, Pasay or Clark makes one hopeful. I am just a lot more cautious nowadays when filling up the tank with hopes and expectations , as opposed to just looking at things as they stand now.

Besides a "deal", or "truce", which is obviously OK with me, I am happy you recognise that my perspective is not that of a hopeless curmudgeon, but that of someone who is suffering some form of "fatigue" after so many years of dealing with the Philippines and the Filipinos in ordinary, routine and "business as usual" contexts.

I wish I could tell you guys more of the extraordinary, the exciting and the novel. Truth is, I perhaps need to find a good quiet moment within myself, regroup and perhaps remember those feelings, emotions, and hopes that made me fall in love with the Land of the Morning a few years ago.

I hope, in fact I am certain, that rubbing shoulders with you guys here will help me with just that.

Thanks for your kind exchanges so far. Have a good weekend!

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

I don't know how long you have lived here in the Philippines. For all the nice things I have experienced in the past 5+ years here, I maintain that it's much easier to get exposed to the negatives. By the way, it's exactly the same in Italy and most countries! :wink:

A tourist or short-term visitor's perspective tends to notice and remember the good stuff. Living here for years on end, especially while keeping busy with a tiring work routine, tends to reveal the annoying, frustrating, odious, bitter stuff inherent in everyday life. This does not mean that this country and its people have nothing good to offer, or things are not poised to improve over time. Far from it.

Looking at some of the bright kids who are excelling at sciences, business, and sports makes one hopeful. Looking at the many "world-class" urban developments sprouting in Taguig, Pasay or Clark makes one hopeful. I am just a lot more cautious nowadays when filling up the tank with hopes and expectations , as opposed to just looking at things as they stand now.

Besides a "deal", or "truce", which is obviously OK with me, I am happy you recognise that my perspective is not that of a hopeless curmudgeon, but that of someone who is suffering some form of "fatigue" after so many years of dealing with the Philippines and the Filipinos in ordinary, routine and "business as usual" contexts.

I wish I could tell you guys more of the extraordinary, the exciting and the novel. Truth is, I perhaps need to find a good quiet moment within myself, regroup and perhaps remember those feelings, emotions, and hopes that made me fall in love with the Land of the Morning a few years ago.

I hope, in fact I am certain, that rubbing shoulders with you guys here will help me with just that.

Thanks for your kind exchanges so far. Have a good weekend!

Powerful!!!

No sarcasm innuendo or any other form of stupidity intended

It's nice to see the human side of you

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, TerryP said:

HK had already qualified the point for me on corporation tax in an earlier post although differing slightly from your qualification.

As you can see, Terry, I'm Scottish so, being mean, I like to "spend" as few words as possible. On the other hand Gandang, being Italian and thus known for his generosity...

(Just a bit of gentle leg pulling Gandang!)

• Haha 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked and unlocked this topic