Covid, devastating effect on Philippines tourism.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

There has been so much time this past year to pick up some of all the millions of tons of garbage/litter thrown down everywhere in this country. Perhaps the biggest turnoff for potential tourists, who are not accustomed to living in a giant landfill site. 

Sadly I don't see much sign of any (very cheap) action in this regard. :89:

The place is a shit tip. 

Unfortunately in some areas this is true. 

Eventualy some of the resorts and hotels will come back but Philippines will not grow tourism significantly until infrastructure, pollution and transportation is improved. 

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, graham59 said:

There has been so much time this past year to pick up some of all the millions of tons of garbage/litter thrown down everywhere in this country.

Yes but considering most of the time you were meant to stay home and not out in the streets or gathering in groups :smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Old55 said:

Unfortunately in some areas this is true. 

Eventualy some of the resorts and hotels will come back but Philippines will not grow tourism significantly until infrastructure, pollution and transportation is improved. 

You oughta see all the construction of huge new resorts happening on Dauis Panglao Island. Some corporate boards of directors think the tourism industry will come back.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

You oughta see all the construction of huge new resorts happening on Dauis Panglao Island. Some corporate boards of directors think the tourism industry will come back.

I hope so Guy those jobs are badly needed.

We need to visit again it's been more than 20 years.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Guy F. said:

Dare I say money laundering?  Two properties here on Boracay have just sold for a combined total of $6m.  Both if you watch the tides are within the 25m plus 5m exclusion zone.  DENR could turn up tomorrow and order them demolished.  Even fully rented it would take 200 months to get your money back and that's not including paying taxes, wages etc.

• Hmm thinking 2

fred
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, graham59 said:

All this talk of beaches...tempted to take a trip in a trike today... :89:

(Cabongaoan, Pangasinan)

159391990_3608499302605353_4199117588069776283_n.jpg

159388478_3608498632605420_1851030578990492746_n.jpg

WOW..Nice Graham!!!
I might see ya down there!

• Love it 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, fred said:

WOW..Nice Graham!!!
I might see ya down there!

You got that right Fred!  :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

The virus issues suck but it sucks a little less in a tropical paradise. Wish we were there.

• Like 3

fred
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Old55 said:

You got that right Fred!  :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

The virus issues suck but it sucks a little less in a tropical paradise. Wish we were there.

Agreed.
We were extremely fortunate to have bought a decent sized lot here in the province 16 years ago when it was dirt cheap..
Plenty of space to work and to walk around the place mask free which is a big big issue for me.
They were a bit strict at first with checkpoints on Municipality borders but they are pretty much inactive now.
Being stuck during a years lock down in a small room or an apartment in a city like Manila or Cebu would have driven me insane.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 3/12/2021 at 3:12 PM, fred said:

We were extremely fortunate to have bought a decent sized lot here in the province 16 years ago when it was dirt cheap..

Not to be nosy, but can you define "dirt cheap".  My wife and I bought a 1247 meter lot on the main road going from Moalboal to Panagsama about 10 years ago.  Price was 600 peso per square.  Built a house for the wife's parents so they could finish out their lives in some measure of comfort.  

image.png

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic