Covid 19 Economic Logic

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

90 countries are now open to American visitors.  Some have requirements like you need to bring a Covid 19 negative test.  Others have none.  Maldives is open for tourism with no mask requirements.  Their population (100,000) has been vaccinated using a financial gift from a Middle East country.  In the meantime, the Philippines continues to ban entry of foreigners as the number of Covid 19 infections continue to increase.  What gives?  Is it just politically expedient to blame the entry of foreigners for the infections?  Is there greater economic logic to die from starvation or Covid 19? 

You really just need to look at the type of high class socialite elite that are terrified of catching a cold from the dirty poor massa.
Senators /Congressman/Governors/Mayors..The President!!
All of them can easily survive the shutting down of local economy even for 5 years if necessary. 
They probably all chat together on Zoom or Skype from their basements reminding each other how many their staunch leadership decisions have saved in the general population from certain death.

Why take the risk of opening up to infected foreign imports?
The locals will be OK.. They can eat fish heads,Comote Kahoy and Bananas.

Edited by fred
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

More frighteners to lay on the locals ? ... :sad:

'NEWS

Germany suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccine, along with Italy, France, Spain

Germany has temporarily halted the use of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine as a precaution, with Italy, France and Spain issuing the same decision soon after'.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-suspends-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-along-with-italy-france-spain/a-56878920

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

More frighteners to lay on the locals ? ... :sad:

'NEWS

Germany suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccine, along with Italy, France, Spain

Germany has temporarily halted the use of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine as a precaution, with Italy, France and Spain issuing the same decision soon after'.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-suspends-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-along-with-italy-france-spain/a-56878920

Hopefully just a precaution but it will be a while before we know.  They are admitting more reactions than initially disclosed but so far they say they are minor and no more different to non vaccinated people.  The only issue is it is the manufacturers releasing this info.  Astrazenica appears the worst. Ireland also stopped it and Thailand was the worst as there was a big media conference where their Prime Minister was going to get his on live TV until they pulled the plug.  That's got to have a negative affect. https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19152719.coronavirus-real-world-data-shows-oxford-vaccine-leading-side-effects/

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On 3/15/2021 at 12:20 PM, JJReyes said:

What gives? 

Several factors IMHO

1. It is required for incoming folks to quarantine upon arrival. OFW's get put up for free (unless they want to pay to upgrade) and they are running short of Q hotels.

2. With the recent surge of positives the hospitals again are close to being overwhelmed. So the few entries, the fewer "possible" patients. 

3. Government knee jerk reaction, when there is a problem, it seems better to those in charge to appear to be doing "something" even if it makes no sense. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

It appears to me that something larger is brewing. In my circle of Ex pats 2 have been recently tested positive, 1 whom is frail and 78 years.  I stopped going to their regular parties some time ago, due to fear. Several others are to be tested.

The police check points all around are now manned by alert cops, no sleeping, they are a no nonsense lot. Moment not stopping us but could be coming. 

Recently we are cut off from going into oriental, just have the feeling something bigger is looming, doubt total lock down but who knows, when we have ex generals in charge of pretty everything medical anything is possible.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

Similar on Boracay, I'm seeing more presence of people monitoring and stricter implimentation of the rules.  Maybe panicking ahead of Holy Week.

I am getting seriously pissed off with offices making their own rules up as they go along and not informing anyone though.  After the drama I had last month getting my ex here it continued getting my partner back from visiting her family.

I'd printed off the Government regulations, Port and Ferry regulations, she went to her Barangay etc, I went to the local one here and also the Mayors office again to double and triple check.  She got to the ferry to find they had their own rules, luckily she got there early and managed to sort things out but on arrival at Caticlan they tried to stop her entering Boracay as again they'd brought in their own rules also.  It took a few calls to sort things out but was I pissed!  She was in tears and almost going to turn arround and go back to her family.  

Edited by Snowy79
  • Sad 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
On 3/15/2021 at 6:38 PM, fred said:

You really just need to look at the type of high class socialite elite that are terrified of catching a cold from the dirty poor massa.
Senators /Congressman/Governors/Mayors..The President!!
All of them can easily survive the shutting down of local economy even for 5 years if necessary. 
They probably all chat together on Zoom or Skype from their basements reminding each other how many their staunch leadership decisions have saved in the general population from certain death.

Why take the risk of opening up to infected foreign imports?
The locals will be OK.. They can eat fish heads,Comote Kahoy and Bananas.

If they don't open up to foreign tourists soon I fear that more desperate people will turn to crime. Our little slice of paradise could see more burglary, prostitution and so on.

The large new resorts being built on DP Island lead me to believe that there are some corporate boards of directors which believe tourism will return in a big way.

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Our little slice of paradise could see more burglary, prostitution and so on.

14 months of this nonsense thus far and no signs of increase of either in our area which is a huge tribute to the local people I think.
The huge developments that you speak of, I believe are going ahead because  these organizations were already in too deep in regards contractual and financial commitments to be able to postpone the projects . I`d say the level of risk on their end has risen big time.
Who knows how this will all pan out?
I have no crystal ball,thats for sure but perhaps the good times are gone forever..Perhaps this is the top of a huge down spiral.
I dont think that the elite or oligarchs  here really care.. They are all right Jack!

Edited by fred
  • Like 1

fred
Posted
Posted

This might be for a separate topic but from what I am reading, the value of the U.S $$ may come under huge pressure later this year.
Not good news if true for U.S retirees abroad.

Here's one take on it.

The US is facing a dollar collapse by the end of 2021 and an over 50% chance of a double-dip recession, economist Stephen Roach says

The "seemingly crazed idea" that the US dollar will collapse against other major currencies in the post-pandemic global economy is not so crazy anymore, the economist Stephen Roach told CNBC's "Trading Nation" on Wednesday.

Roach, a former chairman of Morgan Stanley Asia, also said he sees a more than 50% probability of a double-dip recession in the United States.

He based that prediction on historical evidence, saying that in eight of the past 11 business-cycle recoveries economic output has risen briefly and then fallen.

"It's certainly something that happens more often than not," he said.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/us-dollar-crash-high-chance-double-dip-recession-roach-2020-9-1029618113?op=1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic